Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Smoked Salmon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Smoked Salmon

This was a real nice cook, very simple but great results.

Half a Scottish Salmon. Using the 4 cups brown sugar and 1 cup kosher salt method, covered for 6 hrs, then 3 hours at 160F with the smoke tube in my GMG a's well.

​​​​​​Had some for our dinner last night with salad and sweet potato fries, looking forward to the rest today in a sandwich for lunch!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20180430_181451.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	492817

Looks really good! Great looking salmon.
    Salmon is really good on the smoker.
    I've hotsmoked/coldsmoked/grilled lots of salmon.

Comment

• Sweaty Paul
      Sweaty Paul commented
      Editing a comment
      What’s your preferred method? My wife and kid love salmon and I don’t really care for fish, however, would like a recipe or method to try to keep them happy. I’ll go with Ribeye.

Hi Sweaty Paul

Get decent sized fillets if possible, a side of salmon split in 2 or 3 sections max. Get line caught not farmed if you can, better flavour.

4 cups brown sugar, 1 cup kosher salt, mix it together thoroughly, get a dish and put a layer of the "sugalt" on the bottom.

Place your fillets in the dish (skin side up if they still have skin on) then completely cover using the remainder of the sugalt. 6 to 8 hours in the fridge to cure.

Get your smoker up to approx 160F, remove the fillets from the dish, clean thoroughly under cold water to remove all residue or remaining sugalt.

3 hours on the smoker at 160 and hey presto! I use my GMG and run a smoke tube during the smoke as well just to beef up the smokiness.

Let me know how it turns out. I actually like it better once its cooled down \ out of the refrigerator, flaked through a salad or its great on Blinis with some lemon mayonnaise.

Comment

• Sweaty Paul
      Sweaty Paul commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!

Looking forward to trying it!

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds amazing. Thank you

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      And if you have too much time on your hands, this method is flawless. http://www.uncledavesenterprise.com/...%20Process.pdf

You can use it with any suitably oily fish - it's a "hot smoke".

I love Scottish salmon, different from what we normally get but oh so good. Your’s looks awesome. Try using some soy sauce in your marinade, gives it an extra flavor punch!!!

Comment

• MeatMonster
      MeatMonster commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice idea!

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      I've found even the Scottish "farmed" salmon far superior to US East Coast farmed Atlantic salmon.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here