Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grilled oysters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grilled oysters

I bought a box of oysters (12) this weekend. I like them grilled better than raw. So I fired up the Weber with some eucalyptus charcoal (looks more like sticks than chunks). It was given to me, and it burns fast. Gets the job done, but I wouldn't buy it myself. Works great for a quick cook like this though. I built a pile in the middle, so I can place the oysters all around the edges. This gets the oysters cooked, but keeps the shell not so hot, which means A) you can actually grab the oysters with your hand later, and B) there's no carryover heat from the shells that cook the oysters after removed from the grill.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Oysters_raw.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	325.0 KB
ID:	487675

INGREDIENTS
    12 oysters
    3 limes
    one bunch fresh cilantro

COOK TEMP
    Real hot :-)

COOK TIME
    4-5 minutes

I added almost a teaspoon of fresh lime juice to each oyster, together with a pinch of finely chopped cilantro leaves. I grilled them with the lid on for 5 minutes. Then removed and let them cool off for 2 minutes. After that, grab your favorite libation and dig in!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Oysters_grill.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	348.9 KB
ID:	487674

I'm gonna be honest with you folks: I ate them all myself. Couldn't hold back. That lime adds just the right acidity.

Nice !! I really enjoy oysters Rockefeller with the spinach and Romano on the grill as well. Thanks for presenting, inspires me to do this again myself!!!

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Troutman! I really like the flavors you suggest, spinach and romano, must try that next time.

Sounds like a light snack, right? What's the main course??

Comment

• HorseDoctor
      HorseDoctor commented
      Editing a comment
      For sure! It Was only a dozen...

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, all in all it wasn't that much food :-) But I had a few good beers too. Actually American beers: Samuel Adams Boston Lager. I really like that one.

Love me some Grilled oysters! Great call Henrik! Add a little lime? Oh, Absolutely.

Comment

Gotta try this... Thanks Henrik

Comment

When I traveled for work I use to go to New Orleans quite often. I'd walk in to a oyster bar and sit there and eat dozens of raw oysters on the half shell fresh out of the bay. One of the engineers that always traveled with me would come along. We made it a challenge to drink one of every import beer they had and eat oysters and cold boiled shrimp all night. Good times for sure!
        Those look fantastic Henrik and you got me craving but I'm afraid to eat them unless I know they are absolutely fresh.
        But of course cooking them would remove any possibility of bacteria but nothing beats a raw oyster on the half.

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds like a great time, oysters and beer! And yes, of course they must be fresh. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Oh yes! Apalachicola is down the road from here, gotta get me some and grill ‘em!

Comment

I love oysters on the grill; I don't even shuck 'em prior to grilling.They're much easier to shuck once cooked. I make a dipping sauce of butter, honey, hot sauce, garlic, lemon juice, a dash of worchestershire, and shredded parm, at which point I'm in heaven. Shuck and dip, shuck and dip, shuck and dip...YUMMO!

Our local Safeway sells really big ones for $1.29 each. The meat is about the volume of a golf ball, maybe just a little smaller.

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Now that sounds great! Those big ones sure sound American, given the size ;-)
            Melter butter on oysters is really good.

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            I don't grill them often, being a raw kind of guy, but that approach sounds really good, Willy!

Never had grilled oysters before only raw oysters with a little lime juice, hot sauce and ice cold beer.

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            That hot sauce sounds like a great idea, I'm gonna try that next.

Wow Henrik You done did it again.
          They look amazing. I’ve Never tried grilled oysters before.
          This is now on my list of things to do VERY SOON.
          Thanks for inspiring us all. 👍👊💪

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you Steve B, it's good fun, and I felt like doing a lighter meal. DWCowles suggested adding a drop or two of hot sauce also, I can imagine that works great.

Being right on the Chesapeake, I’ve been meaning to try this. Next fall I’m on it.

Comment

A dozen is just a tease! I love oysters! I open them myself, so I know they are right. Tabasco and cocktail sauce with a raw oyster on a saltine is heaven. I've done them on the grill, my choice of toppings is a bit of butter, Cajun seasoning and a really good parmasanish cheese. Just heat until the cheese and butter melts. Fine Eats!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here