Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does your BBQ smell like fish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does your BBQ smell like fish?

Wondering if those of you that do fish smoking use the same smoker as your meat meat smoker? Do you worry your smoker (I mostly use a BGE or my small Pellet) will acquire a fishy smell?

I've always used the same smoker to do my salmon as everything else. And I never once thought that meat that I cooked tasted or smelled like fish. Either I'm lucky, unable to sense it, or it's not as big a deal as some lead you to believe. I'm not sure which. I always clean my smoker out afterward, scrape the grates, change the foil at the bottom that catches all the drippings, etc. I'm sure that has a lot to do with it. But I do that after most cooks anyhow, fish or not.

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Iuse the same smoker for mackeral and salmon as I do for everything else. Huskee does more than me. After smoking a few fillets, I load her up with mesquite and GIVE HER ALL SHE'S GOT SCOTTY for about 30 minutes to burn out and cover up any fishy aftersmell.

I’m with Huskee smoked fish every second or third smoke, always give it a high temp purge and thorough cleaning

Comment

I smoked fish once and it did leave a smell that if I remember correctly still had a slight pong even after a clean. Maybe I don't clean to good. But was gone after my next smoke.

Comment

I hope not.

Comment

I smoke salmon, lake trout and halibut frequently in a BGE, COS &/or Weber Kettle. Never noticed any off odors/flavors as a result. I sometimes give them a "burnout" with the Red Dragon after smoking fish, mostly to burn off the brown sugar that drips off the fish, but most often I do not. I think the "don't smoke fish in the same smoker" mantra is perpetrated by people who want to sell you an extra smoker...

Comment

On my PBC, I've noticed salmon that smells a little like tri-tip, but not the other way around.

Comment

• smokenoob
              smokenoob commented
              Editing a comment
              lol! that sounds good!

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah that does sound good, gotta try it.

The only fish I've done so far in my GMG is salmon and I have not had a problem. And I do not clean/change foil in drip pan as often as I probably should.

Comment

Look if you buy, catch or cook FRESH seafood it doesn’t smell anyway. If your fish smells either before or after you cook it, that indicates seafood decay.

Comment

Originally posted by HorseDoctor View Post
                I smoke salmon, lake trout and halibut frequently in a BGE, COS &/or Weber Kettle. Never noticed any off odors/flavors as a result. I sometimes give them a "burnout" with the Red Dragon after smoking fish, mostly to burn off the brown sugar that drips off the fish, but most often I do not. I think the "don't smoke fish in the same smoker" mantra is perpetrated by people who want to sell you an extra smoker...
                you may be right, LOL...I was reading article by Harry Soo, who I think is seceretly sponsored by Webber, he uses WSM exclusively, and said he dedicates one for fish.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here