Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lobster question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lobster question

It's killing me but I can no longer eat lobster. I am allergic! I can't even cook it. The fumes make me tear and choke. Have any of you ever temped lobster tail to tell when it is done? In other words, at what temp is a lobster tail perfectly cooked, i.e. opaque?

I don't have an answer for you, but as an aside is shrimp the same with you now? I ask because my mom developed an allergy to shrimp later in life but not lobster (but she's too nervous to try lobster any more). I fear this may be inherited, and I could eat my weight in shrimp & lobster so I'm nervous about my own seafood future.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
      HorseDoctor commented
      Editing a comment
      SUPER BUMMER!!!! My sympathies!!! Shellfish taste so awesome!

• Meathead
      Meathead commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep. All crustaceans. Shrimp, crab, lobster, crayfish only. And nobody else in the fam has it. Hit me at about age 40.

Thermoworks is usually pretty close with their recommendations: https://blog.thermoworks.com/2014/02...tures-seafood/

And here's what the Food Lab has to say: https://www.seriouseats.com/2013/05/...k-lobster.html

Comment

• Meathead
      Meathead commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah. That Cook's Illustrated number threw me for a loop. Thanks for the links.

I’m surprised they recommend 140*, I’ve both steamed and grilled lobster. Generally when the flesh turns opaque I generally pull it, like 10-15 minutes depending on the size (same as shrimp). You definately don’t want to over cook or you end up with shoe leather. I think 140* gets borderline, 130-135* for the win.

Comment

• grantgallagher
      grantgallagher commented
      Editing a comment
      Id second this. I personally dont really like lobster but my wife and 2.5 year old (expensive) son love it. We have been broiling it recently with the weather up here. Whole foods has had some really nice "fresh" tails. I usually pull it at 130 and the residual heat brings it up to around 135 then drop some (more) butter on it

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      +1

my wife’s been going through the same thing for years. She had a meal that was bad Alaskan King Crab. Instant allergy to all kinds of shellfish. Hasn’t been able to have crab, lobster, shrimp ever since then. Fish or mollusks no problem. I think its the chitin in the shell and internal bone like stuff that she has the allergy to. Lesson learned. If it doesn’t taste right don’t continue to eat it. And, ifyou develop this allergy you’ll have to cut down on bugs too🕷🐝🦂. It doesn’t appear to get better over time. Sandi had the bad crab in 1979 and she still has the allergy

best regards,
    jim

Comment

I cant imagine not being able to have shell fish. I always cook lobster by sight, until opaque. Ill temp it next time. BTW try this, its not lobster, but it will remind you of it a bit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvu-WlIE5C8

Comment

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        Met him twice. He is the real deal, it's not an act. He can wear a chuck wagon OUT, and is a genuinely nice fellow. Meathead

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Nuthin here but High Praise fer Cowboy Kent, truly one o my heroes, as well! Y)
        It would be fantastic to have him here in Th Pit!

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        I too like Mr. Rollins and his cornpon style, but I’ve had that mock lobster with halibut and it ain’t lobster. It actually had a similar texture but is a poor imitation imho.

Nothing like "Surf and Turf"

Comment

If I recall it was 135° but that’s really looking back. I’m sorry I don’t have a definite answer.

Huskee What exactly do you mean by Later in life?

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Lol, you do realize I was talking about my mom.... but I get the joke with that song. Good song.

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          Huskee yes but my attention span failed. My mind had already moved to the next song. Great tune yes. Seriously though a buddy of mine is deatly allergic to crab and I think shrimp too. Es no bueno. We practically had to clear the kitchen for him when seafood was around.

• smokenoob
          smokenoob commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh jeez, if 45 is Later in Life, I'm Much Much Later in Life!

If temp is so critical?
        Has anyone ever tried to sous vide a Lobster?
        Seems like it would be a perfect method?

Comment

Cheef Temp is ALWAYS critical. It is the single most important part of becoming a good cook.

Comment

• Cheef
            Cheef commented
            Editing a comment
            Will SV work?

I have to agree with you Meathead before I found your website I would either be trying to eat shoe leather or the meat would be too undercooked to eat. Now that I have a good instant read thermometer and know how to use it I never have an issue with undercooked meat however I still sometimes mis-time my checking with the thermometer and end up with slightly overcooked meat but have not turned into shoe leather in a really long time. Oh well those are the things we deal with I guess, all we can do is keep trying to get better.

Comment

Meathead here it is straight out of my old textbook. Notice the empty space next to lobster.
            Note these are older temps/guidelines. Not as handy as my magnet 😀That's all I got.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1966.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	172.6 KB
ID:	479406

Name:	IMG_1956.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	479405

Name:	IMG_1965.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	479404

Comment

Hi I have seen it as low as 115F a typical range of 130-145F with outliers of 175F, which I personally think is way off.

I know it doesn't like to be "held" for long once cooked as it can get soft / pasty.

So my suggestion is to aim for 120F initially and then monitor, taking a real hard look if it heads past 140F

Comment

Comment

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Last time we did lobster, a month or so ago, we used the skewer trick. Worked really well!

• HorseDoctor
                  HorseDoctor commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Just realized it's been way to long since I cooked lobster!!! I need to fix that!

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You betcha' !

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here