Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Salty seafood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Salty seafood

I recently bought a salt block (Himalayan salt) to use for cooking. It's fun for a change, and you can use it on your grill or indoors. It takes longer to heat up in the oven, but it works just as well. I seared some tuna and scallops. I served it with some fresh Italian pasta (farfalle), together with a lime aioli. I drizzled it all with balsamic vinegar cream. The lettuce is called 'maché' over here, don't know what you all call it. Tasty, nonetheless :-)

The recipe is simple. Sear the shallots and tuna for a minute or so, then serve. Fresh seafood is always nice.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SaltblockGrill.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	258.8 KB
ID:	478303

Name:	Saltblock_oven.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	201.8 KB
ID:	478302

Name:	Saltblock_food.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	234.0 KB
ID:	478301

Name:	Tuna_shallots_ar.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	371.6 KB
ID:	478304

I’m not sure I get it Henrik , does the block add salt to the seafood?

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes it does. The combination of oil (if used) together with juices from the food dissolve salt on the surface of the block. So you get a frying pan with an automatic salt dispenser, kind of :-)

What a lovely plating Henrik !! Interesting concept, heard of it but this is the first I've seen it done, thanks !!

BTW, got your cook book, I'd like to post a review if you don't mind. I think it captures the essence of the bbq scene today. Great read so far !!

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Troutman! Yes, the salt block is good fun. Another way to cook food on the grill. Yes: Please post a review, I'd much appreciate it! So cool you like the book.

Wow! What photos those are! Awesome food too!

that looks like a watercress or radish greens. Is it spicy/bitter?

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      No, it's not water cress, I need to look it up online. Well, it could very well be a relative to water cress, what do I know. It's not spicy/bitter at all, the flavor is mild and nutty.

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks a bit like baby spinach. But what do I know?

• Daddio on the Patio
      Daddio on the Patio commented
      Editing a comment
      EdF I was going to say spinach too.

Fabulous!

Comment

These photos and recipe will go nicely in your second cookbook, Henrik . Just wishing and hoping here.

Kathryn

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you Kathryn!

Fantastic!!!!! If for any reason your cooking career doesn't work out you can definitely get into photography.

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Steve!

Henrik, would you recommend salmon on a block like that?

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, if the salmon is not too thick.

Great job Henrik.

Comment

That looks awesome. Sweet website too I just checked it out! I think I'm going to try your technique for the Kobe beef.

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          I can highly recomend it!

• JakeT
          JakeT commented
          Editing a comment
          The cut I have is quite a bit more thin than what you had on your website. Should still be fin using the same method ya?

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          If it’s thin, I would just sear it. Or if you still smoke it, monitor temp real close so you don’t overshoot.

so does the salt block disintegrate over time? do you have to clean it much when you are done using it? obviously you can't use water to clean it, right? where/how do you store it?

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          We had one a while back. Just wiped it off with a slightly moist paper towel or sponge. Storage was the usual kinds of places, like in a bottom cabinet. No fuss, really.

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          What EdF said :-)

Cool!

Comment

Love using the Salt block.

Comment

This is what we call mache in the US: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valerianella_locusta

Looks pretty similar to what you have.

Comment

• Henrik
              Henrik commented
              Editing a comment
              Spot on! Thanks Willy, that's the one!

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Cool!

Look similar to spinach but I know it's different. I can't wait until they build that bridge from USA to Sweden (or at least Norway)!

Comment

• Henrik
              Henrik commented
              Editing a comment
              Lol! Yes, Norway is good enough :-)

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here