Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Captain Dale's Grilled Salmon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We are very fortunate here in Michigan as we are able to catch nice fresh "King" and Coho Salmon here. This is a recipe I use when having guests over in the summer. I have even had a couple of ladies that did not think they liked fish but commented it tasted more like a steak nice and firm and a great flavor. I got the idea to put this recipe together from travels in Mexico and noticed a couple of ingredients in a Mahi there and formulated it for our Salmon. This had been a great hit for family and friends. I hope you enjoy it too. Captain Dale's Salmon Recipe.docx

Thanks for sharing, but not all members have Word installed, could you be so kind and post the recipe directly here instead perhaps?

Comment

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      and pics, pics, and more pics!!!

Here it is:

Take 2-3 lbs of Salmon filets cut to desired serving size and place in a gallon ziplock bag. Pour about a quarter cup of vegetable or olive oil over them. Mince a half bunch of cilantro and sprinkle upon filets. Then pour two to three tablespoons of Kikkoman Teriyaki Sauce on. Toss the bag around gently to distribute ingredients. Put back in refrigerator and turn bag every hour before cooking to distribute ingredients.
    Oil your grill grates and set cooking levels to high. Put the filets on and then sprinkle them lightly with Cajun seasoning. When grilling as you see the sides turn gray flip over and sear other side. Be very careful as most people overcook fish and it will not turn out good. It is not raw if there is a light color in the center as in a good steak. The filets will drip some of the oil and seasonings on the burners while cooking which only adds a great flavor to your fish.
    Serve with Dill Sauce on the side as it goes great with grilled Salmon.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
      HorseDoctor commented
      Editing a comment
      Teriyaki sauce, Cajun seasoning, and then topped with dill sauce??? All good, but all three in one dish? No wonder folks who don't like salmon eat it... Can you even taste the salmon?

skin on filets? (don't think I ever saw salmon without skin but never know.....)

Comment

• HorseDoctor
      HorseDoctor commented
      Editing a comment
      A number of really good recipes call for "skin off" salmon. If so, it's really easy to remove the skin prior to cooking.

I’ve caught a lot of salmon out of Lake MI. When I filleted them I always skinned em.

Comment

I do a similar marinade recipe with soy and brown sugar over night. Take the filets and pat them dry, season with Tony C’s and dill then grill. I leave the skin on during grilling, de-skinned tends to fall apart. Meat comes off skin easily during service. Also recommend frog mats during the grill.

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        We actually leave the scales on our Redfish down here on the Gulf. You filet, skin and scales included, grill it scales down and the scales get sort of like ceramic hard. The skin actually becomes the serving tray for the meat. It's called Redfish on the Half Shell, mighty delish !!!

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        We scale it.

• smokenoob
        smokenoob commented
        Editing a comment
        I usually filet skin off and blacken redfish Troutman I’ll have to try redfish on the half shell.... saw a few reds yesterday, need to get some live shrimp and sneek up on em!

Sorry I just seen this post and could not even find it after posting. Horse Doctor I understand your concern with three distinct flavors going onto the filets but if you look again at the recipe two TB of Kikkoman light and lightly sprinkled Cajun seasoning on three pounds of filets is certainly not overpowering. And the dill sauce is served on the side as I only take a piece on a fork and dip the end of it in the sauce. I suggest you try this and you will be pleasantly surprised. All flavors blend well and do not take over the salmon.

Comment

I might try this at some point. My go-to salmon recipe is just Old Bay and Dijon mustard. And definitely skin on.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here