Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Holy mackerel, Batman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holy mackerel, Batman

My local fish monger had some beautiful mackerel, I just couldn't resist 'em. Real fatty, with great flavor. And fatty fish takes very well to smoking . Said and done, it was time to fire up the Big Green Egg. I tuned it to 260-280° F, put a so called frog mat on, and smoked them with the BGE charcoal (oak+hickory) plus two chunks of beech wood. I wanted lots of smoke flavor, and beech wood (as well as alder wood) is a perfect match for seafood.

The fish, gutted and rinsed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Makrill2.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	453340

They weighed 400 grams (14 oz) each. I did not season them at all, just put them on the grill straight up. These don't need seasoning, their natural flavor is fantastic.

I smoked them for 40 minutes, by then the inner temperature reached 58°C (136 ° F), so I took them off and served.

It's nice with short cooks like this. I love the golden color they get from smoking.

Name:	RöktMakrill.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	293.4 KB
ID:	453341

Sorry I didn't get any photos of the fish on my BGE, but I was shooting a video of the whole deal, so I forgot to take pictures also. Either way, if you haven't tried smoked mackerel, I can highly recommend it.

Smoked mackerel is one of our favorites (well, mackerel cooked in any way). Beautiful!

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you!

Yum! We catch a lot of spanish mackerel here and like to make ceviche. You have inspired me to throw the next one on the smoker!
    a friend with his catch on fly:

Name:	26F8A0B8-A2F7-4BFF-99AF-301C7EC0DD76.jpeg
Views:	231
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	453358

Comment

• barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      This may be my favorite photo I’ve seen on this site. Mackerel caught on fly! My handle name is a reference to a trout fly I tie. Love fly fishing and one of these day would love to get after some salt water!

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      Glad you liked it barelfly! We catch seatrout, flounder, redfish, spanish, cobia, AJ, Mahi....all on fly here. Now that I have a smoker some will get smoked!

That looks beautiful!

Comment

Holy Batman Henrik. Looks good!

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks FireMan!

Very nice, Henrik! I really miss ready access to fresh seafood such as your mackerel (or makrell in my case ... or makrill (I believe) in yours) ...

Comment

WOW! That looks fantastic Henrik! Gorgeous.

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks buddy!

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Oooooooooh buddy! I wonder how buddy is said in Swedish.

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Had no idea Mackerel was so cool looking. Gotta remember, I live about as far from any ocean as is geographically possible on the North American Continent. LOL. 1500-2000 km North, East, West and South. Henrik

Henrik , Excellent job !!! Like someone said we have Spanish mackerel here in the Gulf. It’s often surved as sushi. It is a strong taste, but like you said it seems to mellow with. Smoke. Nice pix too!!

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks! The Spanish mackerel is best bough after May. Their meat is firmer and better tasting in the summer/autumn.

It's definitely one of the best fish for smoking. We all know about salmon and trout and such, but then there are whitefish, mackerel, bluefish (as good as mackerel), etc. All worthy candidates for the smoker!

Comment

• HorseDoctor
          HorseDoctor commented
          Editing a comment
          X2 on the smoked bluefish pate!!! Bluefish is one thing we just don't get here in "flyover" country! Anytime wife travels to the east ocean to visit family I have her bring back some smoked bluefish.

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          And don't forget the eel. I love it. Goes very well with schnapps :-)

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Eel! Another one of the basic smoked fish groups!

Smoked whitefish out of Lake Superior is awesome. I don't fish the lake, but I buy some from time to time.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Just be wary of smoked Great Lakes fish at all the Smoked Fish tourist traps in northern MI & the UP should you ever visit. All salt. You can make it MUUUUCH better at home. I can eat their trout and other things but he whitefish is like large anchovies to me. All salt.

How are the bones? Easy to enough to pick the meat out around them?

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh yes, this is one of the better fish out there in that regard. Real easy.

Dude, that's fantastic!!

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks buddy!

Very nice Henrik . That looks great! I will have to look for some Mackerel at the store. I'm not sure it's available here?

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Skip. As for the availability, I'm of little or no help I'm afraid :-)

• JCGrill
          JCGrill commented
          Editing a comment
          Here in the cities I think probably Coastal Seafood. Not sure. I buy a bit of fish at my local grocery store, don't look around much. Mostly I eat what I catch. 😊

I just realized I did a mackerel mousse back in 2015. Since you 'pick' the fish with your hands to make the mousse, this is a great way to make sure all bones are removed :-)

So, I decided to smoke something other than red meat, and smoked fish is nice, so that's what I did. I really like mackerel, it is a fish with high fat

Comment

Nice looking fish, and great presentation!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here