Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blackened Ahi Tuna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blackened Ahi Tuna

Click image for larger version  Name:	2FA7F2A1-49EF-4E0D-BDC1-9BB651B359E8.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.38 MB ID:	448690Click image for larger version  Name:	C333748E-FB09-4343-9AD6-F4FDFC860710.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.63 MB ID:	448689Click image for larger version  Name:	11B9629C-E212-49CC-BF2A-8B9C994A87F2.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.32 MB ID:	448688Click image for larger version  Name:	10D9B11A-14B9-4753-AC54-1A7B6A0A518A.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	846.3 KB ID:	448687 Well, not sure this falls under the pit’s scope but heck, I did it on my gassers IR sideburner so it’s in my pit!!!

I like Paul Prudhommes Blackened Redfish seasoning. My method is to get sushi grade Ahi 1-1.25” thick (cold), I slice about 1/3” of butter off a stick and put in the micro just until it melts, put the butter on a cold plate and flip the ahi in the butter to soak it up and quickly solidify. Now sprinkle blackened seasoning to your taste, I like lots! Now heat up your cast iron pan on the sideburner of your "pit" to at least 700 deg (outside the house if you want to stay married). Tonight was 2 minutes per side. 4 minutes a side will leave just a sliver of red, but....as we all know, friggin variables will get you....temp, thickness, drink strength).

I’m trying to remember if I forgot anything....I know my drink strength was correct!

Oh, slice the ahi cross grain, dip it in soy mixed with wasabi ( I like lots!)

oh, also, when you throw that beautyful fish in the pan, toss another 1/3” butter on the pan for each flip!

it’s fish that looks and tastes as good as steak!!!!

as you can see, I can never figure out where the pic's are gonna go!

Click image for larger version  Name:	B9ADB2B3-3E29-4B79-BBCD-554B3B144338.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	862.2 KB ID:	448686

Looks awesome!!!!

Comment

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Doc, We are very lucky to be located near an incredible fresh fish market. I have friends away from the coast who shun fish, then when I bring grouper, flounder, pompano, redfish, they are believers!

• HorseDoctor
      HorseDoctor commented
      Editing a comment
      smokenoob Agree, here in "flyover country" too many people's only exposure to fish is something from Mrs. Paul's...

One thing a chef in New Orleans shared with us was to take a tablespoon of butter and 1/2 teaspoon of minced garlic (more or less according to your taste) and mix together. Take some good olive oil and drizzle on your serving dish with a dollop of the garlic butter in the center of the plate and set the just cooked tuna on top and put some of the garlic butter on top and let it sit for 2-3 minutes. You now have some great dipping sauce for the slices of tuna. He did the same for steaks....fantastic!

Comment

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      I like, I like!

Looks good!

Comment

Two thumbs up, love seared tuna

Comment

Beautiful !!

Comment

Great, great cook & pics! Who gives a rip about pic placement. This is the second or third usage of CI on the IR burner that I’ve seen. Duh, never thought of using it that way, although I’ve only had it 9 mos. You have given me a great how to tutoring. Gracias.

Comment

• smokenoob
            smokenoob commented
            Editing a comment
            I thought thats how everyone did it, maybe there is something to this noob thing....?

Love this!

Comment

Me too! Love those tuna photos. Get a closeup of those slices of tuna meat on the blue plate, there's a $1000 shot right there!

Comment

• smokenoob
            smokenoob commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Henrik! I’m still planning on smoking the next mackeral I catch like you did! Got a redfish and a seatrout the other day, no mackeral yet.

I just realized where you are smokenoob , used to vacation over in Orange Beach over on the 'Bama side back in the early 2000's. Kinda been ichin' to get back over to that area one of these summers. We have friends in Spring Hills over near Tampa that keep wanting us to come hang out, maybe I'll come eat some tuna with you one day soon !!!

Comment

• smokenoob
            smokenoob commented
            Editing a comment
            If you come to town, you are welcome in my pit!

Dang that looks good. Had Ahi lots of times in a restaurant but never tried to make it. Sounds pretty easy. I will have to see if that rub ships to Canada.

Comment

• smokenoob
            smokenoob commented
            Editing a comment
            you can also do it with course salt n pepper (dalmation rub!), that’s great also!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here