Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gutting Fish Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gutting Fish Question

Whenever we get to the big city, a trip to the huge Asian market is in order--both for inexpensive, "exotic" products and also for inexpensive, fresh fish and cheap stock makings (including chicken feet--the best thing ever for chicken stock). One thing puzzles me, though. I have always been under the impression that fish should be gutted as soon after catching as possible, yet many of the fish in this market are not gutted until the time of sale (it's a real treat watching a true expert gut and descale a fish in virtually no time). Given that Asian cultures are generally very picky about fresh seafood, what is the deal with guts-in fish? Is my "clean'em quickly" thought just a myth?

They freze them on ice on the boat immediately

Comment

Correct! In regards to maintaining quality and fresh flavor in seafood, rapid cooling (+/- bleeding) is far more important than eviseration.

Comment

Even salmon that is called fresh is froZen flown over seas cut up and flown back

Comment

At fish camp we gut 'em when we get back to camp, even if it's half to 2/3 of the day later. No rush. We keep 'em in cool water in the livewell is all.

Comment

• Barry Friesen
            Barry Friesen commented
            Editing a comment
            I hope you mean you keep them alive in a livewell until you get back to camp.
            I do the same, bleed them when I pull up to the ramp and by the time I get to the campsite 5-10 minutes later they are dead and bled! Makes for a very clean filleting table wonderful meat.

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Barry Friesen most times yes. Sometimes they belly up.

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            How do you gut a minnow Huskee?

When salmon fishing we cut the gills out on the boat to bleed them out then get them on ice. We may not clean them for 12 or more hours after catching them.

Comment

• smokenoob
            smokenoob commented
            Editing a comment
            definitely want to bleed em'!

From a food safety perspective the evisceration process of fish is similar to really just the processing of the meat products of mammals, chickens and ratites.

The USDA FSIS was going to have a Consumer Safety Inspector present at all times at the plants that process catfish. They soon realized that you don't really have all the sanitary dress issues and what not that you have when processing chickens, pigs, cows, etc....

Therefore they could put those inspectors to cover multiple plants on a patrol assignment, just like the meat processing plants that don't process any live animals.
          Last edited by Jerod Broussard; January 19, 2018, 12:03 AM. Reason: more animals....to eat

Comment

Oh, you are supposed to gut them?

Comment

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              It’s a matter of taste.

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              As in "good taste is timeless"!

• Greasy
              Greasy commented
              Editing a comment
              I just filet them and leave the guts in whatever is left for the garbage.

We never gut em. Brine em for about 24 hours, then filet em out and leave the guts in em. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3464.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	216.3 KB
ID:	470719

Comment

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              King?

• Dale Case
              Dale Case commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes. Here it's called Ono. Its same fish as what they also call Wahoo on mainland.

• Pirate Scott
              Pirate Scott commented
              Editing a comment
              Wahoo is Delicious Fresh!

I never gut or bleed out fish. Been catchin' fish of all kind for over 4 decades. Just keep 'em either live as you can or put 'em on ice and keep them as cold as you can.

Now let me add to that I do gut them and freeze them as soon as I get them back home. Just sayin' until then.

Comment

• Steve R.
              Steve R. commented
              Editing a comment
              Same here. Except for the "over 4 decades" part.

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              Won’ Fish stink after 4 decades?

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              No by then it's petrified, like me !!!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here