Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eel??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eel??

We have the good fortune to be going to New Zealand soon--gawd, are we excited!!!!!!! Anyway, due to the circumstances of the trip, it sounds like the only time I'll get to fish is in a river where the most likely catch is eels--maybe trout. I've had eel in a sushi joint and liked it, but...a freshly caught eel is another story. Are they easy to clean and cook?

Any advice is much appreciated!

Don't know about cleaning and cooking but they're easy to throw back after catching them. I'd focus on the trout.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Or call out for pizza....

I know some cultures salt and smoke the fillets

Comment

• Sgt Tyree
      Sgt Tyree commented
      Editing a comment
      Using a fly rod? If so don't use a sink tip line keeping away from the bottom. Nasty buggers are bottom feeders.
      Last edited by Sgt Tyree; December 31, 2017, 08:12 PM.

When I was 12 or so in Naples, Italy, I was in the bathroom facing away from the shower/tub which was behind me. As I was taking care of business, I heard some faint splashes behind me. As I finished up, my Grandmother came through the door on my left and headed straight for the tub behind me. Hearing her pushing the curtain aside, I turned and realized that the tub was full of water, and full of Eels...swimming around in the tub. She reached in, grabbed one with her bare hands, and headed for the door. I followed. Into the kitchen, she threw it on the counter, pulled out a large knife in one move, and began to chop it into quarter size pieces as it squirmed alive on the counter. By the handful, she threw the pieces into boiling oil (or water?) and made us dinner. I have very few memories of my grandmother, and that is one of them.

Comment

Many eons ago I worked at a fishing resort and every once in a while someone would want us to clean an eel they caught. First, clean them right away. They are slippery buggers, so you need some good gloves or a towel to hold on. I found a towel worked best for me. Right behind the gills, cut all the way around the eel, and then try and peel the skin towards the tail.

Better yet, throw them back or use chucks as bait for something better.

Comment

More or less what Donw said. My wifes knows this. Cut the head off at an angle - that will get the guts. Then skin by grabbing it with some pliers and pulling it back.

I love it! Smoke it.

Comment

I’ve seen them drive a nail through their heads to hold them for cleaning. In Rhode Island they used to smoke them at the smoke house. An Italian or Portuguese delicacy?

Comment

• HorseDoctor
            HorseDoctor commented
            Editing a comment
            Seen them done nailed to a tree to skin before smoking. Eel is one of the very few foods that I would eat if it was presented to me on a plate, but if I had to clean the ugly, slimy, squirmy creature there's no way I'm putting it in my mouth! I used to cut the line rather than touch them when I caught them on Lake Ontario, and I'm not usually squeamish!

For the Japanese it’s a delicacy known as Unagi. It’s typically grilled or smoked with a sweet/savory sauce made from sugar, soy, mirin and a little sake. I love them served with sushi rice. Cleaning is a challenge as mentioned.

Comment

Hmm. Not something I have ever tried and not sure I could force myself to try it either. I will stick with things I know.

Comment

My Dutch relatives thought eel (saltwater variety) from the Noordzee was a treat. One of the days we were out with them, they had left an "eel stew" simmering while we went out touring. When we returned, they served it.

I thought it tasted really good, and so did my wife. Then, she found out what it was. She ate the rest of the eel on her plate very quickly (to be done with it and enjoy the rest of the food). Relatives thought she really liked it, so they picked out the rest of it in the pot and gave all of it to her! I helped eat it, but I've heard about it for the last 25 years. Last time was this morning, and I didn't even bring the subject up.

It came up because someone gave us an authentic German (from Germany) Dresdner Christstollen as a Christmas gift.

Happy New Year,
              Jim

Comment

Eel should be smoked. We eat it a lot in Sweden. It is way fattier than a duck. To me, eel is the marine equivalent of pork belly. They take forever to kill, but we smoke them with the skin on. The skin is very easy to remove once smoked. The flavor is great. But with all that grease you need schnapps (or a shot of vodka) to go with it.

Comment

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You got it, Henrik !

• Sgt Tyree
                  Sgt Tyree commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Henrik : Define what is considered traditional "schnapps" in Sweden? I only hope European schnapps is different than what we find here in America.

Henrik, let me check my understanding too.

In the US, schnapps is a drink made with "neutral grain spirit" (aka moonshine) with a fruit syrup.

European schnaps (Austria Obstler) are fruit brandies. Jagermeister is a sweetened German herb liquer.

Never could understand it while I was first over there, but once I tried one I realized how different they were from American Schnapps.

Best regards,
                Jim

Comment

Okay, maybe if there’s enough ice cold vodka involved... 🤔

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here