Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your Favorite Crab?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your Favorite Crab?

I'm pretty sure we all know what kind of crabs to avoid, but which crab species do you enjoy most. I'm partial to King Crab because it is so easy to eat. I've never been to a real crab fest, but I have tried to pick apart Dungeness and Blues to little meat-yielding effect. Too much work for too little meat, IMO. We do often buy the refrigerated Costco canned stuff for crab cakes, etc.

Alas, we never get blues here in the desert and we rarely see Stone Crab claws.
    Dungeness
    22.92%
    Snow
    10.42%
    King
    27.08%
    Stone
    8.33%
    Blue
    29.17%
    Other
    0%
    The refrigerated "canned" crab meat at Costco
    2.08%
    Last edited by Willy; January 11, 2018, 01:58 PM.

I think the blue are the ones I grew up eating in south Louisiana and you are right about having to pick a part a lot of crap for just a little bit of meat.

Comment

Yea I'm with Jerod on that one, the blues are good but you got to work at it to get filled up. It's kind of like high school dating, too much work for too little result !!

Now stone crab, if you've ever enjoyed them, are totally awesome. They win in my book !!

Click image for larger version

Name:	stone crabs.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	426394

Comment

• SmokingSteve
        SmokingSteve commented
        Editing a comment
        Stone crabs Rock!

stones!

Comment

We get blues here in Virginia as well. Yes a lot of work but once you get into the rhythm its doable. The wife wont do it so its double duty for me. Next day fingers are pretty torn up. Stone are easy as all I ever had was the claw.

Comment

Had to vote on King since that's the only one I had. Cheers!

Comment

I like the blues IF it is soft shell crab season, and you can eat the entire thing fried up nice and golden...

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              That's why I checked "Blue" - love those soft shells, cooked that and other ways!

Otherwise, it's the stone crabs for me!

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              Gotta admit; softies in season, little corn meal breading, sauted in some butter .... to die for !!!

Being from Maryland I have to vote for blue. Once you get the hang of shucking them they are not hard to eat. And even better they provide us with soft shell crabs, or as we say down here on the Eastern Shore, soft crabs. That is good eating!

Comment

• phrogpilot73
              phrogpilot73 commented
              Editing a comment
              Where on the Eastern Shore? My parents used to live in Stevensville on Kent Island.

• Donw
              Donw commented
              Editing a comment
              Right by Assateague island.

• Donw
              Donw commented
              Editing a comment
              Here is a how to video of blue crab picking from one of our local restaurants: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=la6Wtme9P3I

Blues are very tasty once you get the hang of picking them...

I do like the flavor of stone crab legs, but can never get enough of them for a meal.

Comment

I had to go with Blue. It's what I grew up on. If you know how to properly work them - it's easy to get all the meat out.

Comment

Favorite crab? Why didn't my wife make the list?

Comment

• Danjohnston949
                  Danjohnston949 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You're a Brave Man, Gunga Din❓ How Long Have You Owned Her❓
                  ☃ 🎄 🎄 HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO YOU AND YOURS 🎄 🎄 ☃
                  From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

• HawkerXP
                  HawkerXP commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yowzer! Bang! Bam! Boom! Nice to know ya!

Snow or King done in a Can Cooker mainly because they're available year round and are relatively affordable.

Comment

• Willy
                  Willy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Can cooker?

• Sgt Tyree
                  Sgt Tyree commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Willy ; Yes, Seth McGinn's Can Cooker which I believe is reviewed somewhere on this site. I have all 3 sizes and use them for lots of things. I bring the cooker to a boil inside, then add the crab or lobster to it, fasten it, put it on a small butane stove on the deck to avoid the smell in the house. Awesome for sea food Not so much for beef and chicken.

Had to give Snow a shout out. All of them are fantastic to me. Raised around the blues and boil up a batch every year. Snow, or King + a Dungeness or 5 on the grill is my go-to just cus they grill up so nice, easy to get and so tasty!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0212.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	426494

Comment

• 6th Borough BBQ
                  6th Borough BBQ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That looks fantastic. As crazy as it is, it never occurred to me to try crab on a grill.

I'm a bit surprised that Dungeness hasn't scored better yet, giving that they are considered the best by many left-coasters. Maybe they haven't gotten home from work yet?

Comment

Dungeness definitely gets my vote!

Comment

• Willy
                    Willy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Roughly how much meat per crab? A cup? More?

• lonnie mac
                    lonnie mac commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Cant really see in my pic, but I always have a Dungeness or two in the middle of my grilled crab spider.

• Sharklovers
                    Sharklovers commented
                    Editing a comment
                    For an average size crab I think you'd get between a cup and a cup and a half of meat...they're pretty meaty!

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here