Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you dry brine your fish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you dry brine your fish?

Just wondering what the consensus on dry brining fish is among members of the Pit, and if it is know whether the rate of salt penetration is different than in beef, pork, or chicken?

Better penetration. I definitely do the DB.
    Last edited by Jerod Broussard; September 1, 2017, 06:33 PM.

Comment

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      Very good to know, thank you.

IT is much faster. Depending on what I am doing, I always either dry brine or wet brine my salmon.how do you plan on cooking it?

Comment

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm planning on cooking some tuna steaks over the weekend. I want them between rare and medium rare with a good sear on the outside.

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      dry brine but for 30 minutes max

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      maybe even no brine, when searing like that you run the risk of making it kinda rubbery like overcooked tuna steaks

Never did tuna, and like tex mentioned above, a little surface salt at serving ain't nothin' to sneeze at, unless you actually do sneeze.

Comment

I might wet brine (soy, oyster, fish sauce) for an hour, tops. Nothing longer, salt, like 15 min.

Comment

It would be cool if @gregblonder would do a webinar on this

Comment

Depends on the fish. I wet brine salmon for about 60 minutes, unless I'm going for that "smoked salmon" style, then I wet brine for days. Tuna I typically dry brine for a very short period, 30 to 60 minutes. Many kinds of fish I don't brine at all.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here