Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best smoke with fish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best smoke with fish

Peach or post oak when smoking fish?

Alder...👍

Comment

Peach or cherry for me.

Comment

Counter-question: what type of fish?

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Spoken like a BBQ engineer!

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Lol!

• Thunder77
          Thunder77 commented
          Editing a comment
          I was going to ask the same thing.

Alder if salmon ... or any mild fruit wood if any other species.

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          I learned to smoke when I lived up in Washington State. I took up Salmon & Steelhead fishing and some old man told me I needed to buy a Little Chief smoker and get some alder wood chips and smoke my fish like the local Indian's did. I did just that. I use alder for all my fish.👍

• MBMorgan
          MBMorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          Breadhead - ditto for me while living in Alaska. I still use my Little Chief smoker once in a while.

I will have to check on Alder. I haven't seen Alder down here.

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Alder is the only hardwood that grows in the Pacific Northwest. It only grows in the Pacific Nortwest, but they package it and ship it all over for the BBQ industry. Check on Amazon.

Breadhead, will do!

Comment

Peach sounds, well, peachy to me.

Comment

I have not smoked any fish. Sounds a little intimidating.

Comment

• Breadhead
            Breadhead commented
            Editing a comment
            Smoking fish is the easiest thing to smoke....👍 Give it a try and you will think damn... I should have tried that long ago.

Alder is traditional, but any mild smoke will do you fine! I like fruitwoods like apple, cherry, plum or mulberry. Those I have lots of. Alder, not so much. Need to get some alder and see if I can tell a difference. I'm betting not.

Comment

• Breadhead
            Breadhead commented
            Editing a comment
            You are correct. The reason alder became the prevalent wood used to smoke salmon was that the vast majority of the salmon was in the Pacific Nortwest and the ONLY hardwood available in the PNW was alder. Other fruitwoods will be good for smoking fish.👍

Peach wood on the Jambo. Burned down to coals before the fish went on. Salt, pepper, thyme. Cooked to 140°. Cooking over coals gave it just a "kiss" of smoked flavor. Breadhead is correct. Smoked salmon was outstanding.
          Attached Files

Comment

Looks really good! Try cooking to 120-125 next time. Another treat! Enjoy!

Comment

• HawkerXP
              HawkerXP commented
              Editing a comment
              We did a slab o salmon last night and took in off at 125. O boy. Verry nice and moist.

I usually use, in order of preference, Oak, Hickory, Mesquite to smoke Salmon, or Tilapia...
            1 very small chunk, roughly 3"x3"
            I'll haveta try Alder, be nice to work at approximatin' th' Native NW flavour...

Comment

Alder is very nice with salmon.

Comment

I went with hickory last night on a nice piece of steelhead trout (often mistaken for salmon). For those who love smoke it was excellent alongside some skewered zucchini finished with goat cheese and a garden salad. Cooked skin side down on a cast iron with avocado oil (higher smoke point), flipped it for about a five second sear at 115. Perfect except for a little too much char on the skin. Still trying to figure out getting the skin just right and I wonder if coating with olive oil was my error. Nonetheless, a memorable dinner.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here