Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fresh Sockeye Salmon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fresh Sockeye Salmon

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5616.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	347895 Now what?! What's your favorite recipe / approach?

No recipe, but that's a gorgeous fish! Congratulations

Comment

Oh my! That is beautiful! My favorite approach is brush with melted butter, sprinkle on some dill, garlic powder, salt and pepper, and grill to internal temp of 130. Grill indirectly, and throw on a few alder chips for smoke flavor. Maybe take it to 115 indirect, then a quick sear.

Comment

Another superb recipe is Huskee's smoked salmon.

Comment

I marinate them in the following for a half hour or so:

1/2 cup olive oil
          1/4 cup soy sauce
          1/8 cup fresh lemon juice (juice from 1 med lemon)
          1/2 tsp (roughly) dried dill
          1/8 tsp (roughly) ground clove (yep, clove) ... everything whisked together into an emulsion.

I then grill direct (skin side down) over high heat for just a couple or three minutes. By then, the skin is thoroughly stuck to the grill. I slide a thin metal spatula between the skin and meat to separate them and move the filets (without flipping) off the skin. I then spoon a little of the marinade over each filet (there will be a big flare up) then move to a serving platter after just a few seconds in the flames. I then close the lid and let the stuck skins incinerate completely before shutting the grill down ... about 10 to 15 minutes over high heat. Meanwhile, serve the salmon over a nice bed of rice pilaf ... and enjoy!

Works over coals or on a gasser.

Marinade from Jeff Smith, The Frugal Gourmet, 1984, William Morrow and Company, Inc.
          Last edited by MBMorgan; July 16, 2017, 12:39 AM.

Comment

I just say, "Sockee it to me!!" and let someone else prepare it.

Comment

• MBMorgan
              MBMorgan commented
              Editing a comment
              Groan ... (groans are normally reserved for Spinaker in the Jokes section)

That looks amazing!

The difficult part with salmon fillets is the way they taper to a really thin edge. If you're not horrified at the idea of defacing such a gorgeous gift from the sea (or the river?) I'd cut each into thirds lengthwise and cook the "hearts" and the "sides" separately.

The central third of each fillet is wonderfully thick and perfect for indirect cooking. A simple salt/sugar rub, and maybe some dill, and that's all you need. Top-quality salmon really doesn't need to go much above 40 C / 105 F IT (maybe 50 C / 120 F tops).

The skinnier bits will overcook no matter what, so you might as well just sear them skin-side down on a roaring hot fire and enjoy crispy skin.

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
              LA Pork Butt commented
              Editing a comment
              Good idea!

Here is something you can do on the grill. This is not smoke and it's not low and slow.
            ​
            Remove the skin and place the filets in a saltwater brine for 1 hour. While waiting, mix up a simple marinade of olive oil and whatever spices you fancy. After done with the brine, rinse thoroughly and put the filets in the marinade for another hour. Get yourself a couple of oranges and slice them 1/2 to 1/4 inch thick, peel and all. Lay the slices on a grill running about 350 degrees and put the fish on top of the orange. You want the orange to separate the fish from the grill. Should take about 20 minutes to cook.

I also like MH's fancy schmancy salmon as an entree rather than an appetizer.

Comment

Wife & I do an Alaska trip early each fall and bring home about 100# of Silver Salmon each year so I get to practice preparing it many ways. My overall number one (current) favorite technique is slow roasted. Not a grill or smoke recipe but still awesome... Season skinless portions with Salt & Pepper (or Johnnie's Lemon Dill powder). Place portions on a roasting pan that's coated with butter. Brush a little more melted butter over top and place in 250F. oven for only 15 minutes. Serve with the dill sauce from this site: http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/s...amy-dill-sauce Only instead of 3/4 teaspoon of dill weed I use MUCH MUCH more than that. Perhaps 1-2 T of dry dill weed or better yet 2-3 Tablespoons of chopped fresh dill.

Comment

I love this recipe. It has a wonderful blend of flavors.

Comment

I put the fillets skin-side down on the grill and season the top. The skin might scorch or blacken, but the fish slides right off.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here