Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Michigan maple lake trout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Michigan maple lake trout

Went on a salmon fishing trip this summer and my buddies didn't want the lake trout because they said they were too greasy. So I brought home a couple gallon bags of fillets to try smoking on The pellet Grill. I started out soaking them for about 2 1/2 hours in a brine of water, kosher salt,lemon juice, brown sugar, pickling spice, and black pepper. Rinsed, dried off with a paper towel and let air dry in the refrigerator overnight to form a pellicle. Smoke on the pellet Grill for four hours at 180° with cherry, apple and pecan pellets. Basting about every half hour to an hour with pure Michigan maple syrup courtesy of my buddy Matt. That's all I can say is my fishing buddies screwed up, because these turned out awesome! And yes I did have to take them samples to rub it in.

Thats looks awesome PS. Those guys were wrong on so many levels. Great job? I'm not that far from you if you need a second opinion. : )

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
      Powersmoke_80 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Jon,
      The Captain is my buddy and does not like smoked fish only grilled salmon.
      So i took him a sample and i think i changed his mind LOL!

• Jon Solberg
      Jon Solberg commented
      Editing a comment
      I can't lie, I grill up lakers quite often.

• Powersmoke_80
      Powersmoke_80 commented
      Editing a comment
      Jon, do you grill with skin on or off? I did theses with skin on but was wondering if skin off would work and remove the mud vein.

That's an awesome looking cook. What final temp did you take the fish to?

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
      Powersmoke_80 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Pit Boss,
      went to 145 deg in the thickest filet.

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      Perfect!!!

Too greasy?? Yeh, that's why so many people don't like bacon

I have grilled Talapia and smoked it, the smoked was better....

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
      Powersmoke_80 commented
      Editing a comment
      I Agree Jerod, I think I converted a few naysayers today. Hee hee!

Fish grease is actually GOOD for you. I have to wonder if those same folks buy fish oil pills. Lol. But, as everyone else has already said, great job. But, next time, big pics?

Comment

• Jon Solberg
      Jon Solberg commented
      Editing a comment
      Ya cant do it in iOS, or at least I have not been able to. (I played with this so much I broke my media access. J/K lol )

You can attach them but you can't select the size. So they will be there but the viewer will need to click the link.

I load them up then go in and do a edit to select the size when I get to a machine.
      Last edited by Jon Solberg; September 28, 2014, 09:20 PM.

• The Burn
      The Burn commented
      Editing a comment
      All of my photos have been taken with my iPhone (5s, but that shouldn't matter). I do transfer them to my MacBook for posting from Chrome (usually e-mail to myself at full resolution). But when I post after uploading them, I get the option of small, medium, large or full-size - I always choose full size

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      I usaully choose full size as well. Large tends to be the same as fullsize, maybe it depends on the size of the source file though.

Thanks Huskee, i read your sticky on photos so hows this? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1477[2].JPG
Views:	340
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	21589 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1485[1].JPG
Views:	346
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	21590 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1487[1].JPG
Views:	299
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	21591 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1488[1].JPG
Views:	331
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	21592

Comment

• W.A.
      W.A. commented
      Editing a comment
      Powersmoke,
      Were you able to do that with your iPhone?
      I can't get it to work with my iPad.

• Powersmoke_80
      Powersmoke_80 commented
      Editing a comment
      No W.A.,I did it through my laptop.

• vandy
      vandy commented
      Editing a comment
      That looks like meat candy dude! Awesome.

Originally posted by Powersmoke_80 View Post
    Thanks Huskee, i read your sticky on photos so hows this?
    Woo hoo! Out of the park good! Now I can almost taste 'em!

Seriously that is a beautiful sight. Salmon went up in my grocery store from $6.99/lb to 10.99 now. I am a very unlucky salmon & steelhead fisherman, and found that I was 100% successful going to the store and buying farm rasied Norwegian salmon. The days of that may be over though....

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
      Powersmoke_80 commented
      Editing a comment
      We fished the amateur class of the Ludington Offshore Classic for the last 4-5 years and was very slow on salmon but the laketrout and steelhead were biting this year.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      I love Ludington. Bee-utiful area of Michigan. We regularly go there to the beach (although not this year, bad year for beach weather). Never have fished the big water, at least not since I was a little kid. Sounds like a good time even if the salmon weren't biting well.

Thanks Huskee, i read your sticky on photos so hows this?
    Now THATs how we like out pics!

Comment

Wow, maple syrup is pure genius. I absolutely must try this!

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
        Powersmoke_80 commented
        Editing a comment
        Henrik, a friends dad always basted with molasses but since I had pure maple syrup it just sounded better.

Went on a salmon fishing trip this summer and my buddies didn't want the lake trout because they said they were too greasy. So I brought home a couple gallon bags of fillets to try smoking on The pellet Grill. I started out soaking them for about 2 1/2 hours in a brine of water, kosher salt,lemon juice, brown sugar, pickling spice, and black pepper. Rinsed, dried off with a paper towel and let air dry in the refrigerator overnight to form a pellicle. Smoke on the pellet Grill for four hours at 180° with cherry, apple and pecan pellets. Basting about every half hour to an hour with pure Michigan maple syrup courtesy of my buddy Matt. That's all I can say is my fishing buddies screwed up, because these turned out awesome! And yes I did have to take them samples to rub it in.
      We got a few Lakers this weekend, any chance you'd share your recipe? Thanks.

Comment

Wow, this thread was before my time. I wanted to say I would be your buddy & I promise not to be a weenie regarding the “not to greasy” comment.

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
          Powersmoke_80 commented
          Editing a comment
          yeah I know what you mean but I was the guest of the boat so not complaining. And we will be doing it again in 3 weeks, Cant wait!

@klahlum
        Basic brine recipe
        1 gal. cool water
        1 cup Kosher salt
        1 cup brown sugar
        juice from 1 lemon
        1Tbs black pepper or to taste
        2Tbs Pickling spice
        Soak about 3-4 hours depending on thickness maybe 8 if they are thick.
        Rinsed, dried off with a paper towel and let air dry in the refrigerator overnight to form a pellicle.
        Smoke approximately four hours starting about 140 first hour then 160 for the second hour and increasing to 180° after that till desired texture.approximately 145 internal.
        Baste with maple syrup the last couple hours about 3 times.
        Enjoy!

Comment

Thank you! Gonna go mix it up now!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          Rubs Promo

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These are some of our favorite tools and toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use Our Links To Help Keep Us Alive

A big part of this site is our unbiased equipment and product reviews. We love playing with toys and we have no problem calling them the way we see them. Some companies pay a finder’s fee if a reader clicks a link on AmazingRibs.com and buys a product. It has zero impact on our reviews, zero impact on the price you pay, and the sites never tell us what you bought, but it has a major impact on our ability to keep this site alive! So before you buy, please click our links. Here’s a link that takes you to a page on Amazon that has some of our favorite tools and toys: https://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

Compact Powerful Sear Machine For Your Next Tailgater

Char-Broil’s Grill2Go x200 is a super-portable, fun little sizzler made of heavy, rust-proof cast aluminum. The lid snaps shut. Grab the handle and you’re off to the party! Char-Broil’s TRU-Infrared design produces searing heat while reducing fuel consumption. A 16 ounce LP gas canister is enough to keep you flipping burgers for hours.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

Grilla Pellet Smoker proves good things come in small packages

We always liked Grilla. The small 31.5″ x 29.5″ footprint makes it ideal for use where BBQ space is limited, as on a condo patio.
          Click here for our review on this unique smoker

Surely you know somebody who loves outdoor cooking who deserves a gift for the holidays, birthday, anniversary, or just for being wonderful. There he is, right in the mirror! Here are our selections of best ideas, all Platinum or Gold Medalists, listed by price.

Click here to see our list of Gold Medal Gifts

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

Napoleon’s 22″ Pro Cart Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It’s hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the 22″ Pro Cart a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special

Blackstone Rangetop Combo: Griddle And Deep Fryer In One

The flat top does the burgers and the fryer does the fries. Use the griddle for bacon, eggs, grilled cheese, and so much more. And why deep fry indoors when you can avoid the smell and mess by doing it outside!

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

Bring The Heat With Broil King Signet’s Dual Tube Burners

3 burner gas grill

The Broil King Signet 320 is a modestly priced, 3-burner gas grill that packs a lot of value and power under the hood. Broil King’s proprietary, dual-tube burners get hot fast and are able to achieve high, searing temps that rival most comparatively priced gas grills. The quality cast aluminum housing carries a Limited Lifetime Warranty.

Click here to read ourcompletereview

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It is absolutely positively without a doubt the best bargain on a smoker in the world. Period. This baby will cook circles around the cheap offset sideways barrel smokers because temperature control is so much easier.

Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them