Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoking oysters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoking oysters

Anyone have any advice for smoking some oysters? Brine? No brine? Temp? Thanks

I LOVE smoked oysters. I usually just smoke 'em on a fine screen without marinating. They are killer, as the oyster has sufficient salt and umami inherent in the oyster itself; so, not much needs to be done. If you want to introduce flavors, such as teriyaki(for example), gently cook them till firm(ish), then marinate, and re-smoke those bad boys.

Comment

I take them out of the shell and save the liquid for a pasta sauce. I don't salt them or brine them, they're briny enough. I put them on frogmats, a non-stick mesh. I smoke at the usual 225 or so. How long? Humidity in your pit is the crucial factor. After about 30 minutes I start poking and tasting. If I'm lucky after the tasting there will be a few left.

Chef Ryan and I once took them and placed them one each on a square of puffed pastry. We then took thin slices of lemon and simmered them is simple syrup, cut the slices in4, and put a wedge on top of the oyster. Then we folded the pastry, gave it an eggwash, and baked. They are incredible appetizers.

Comment

I don't mean to offend anyone but a big part of the eating experience for me is the mouth feel. Food has to have a bit of texture in order for it to be palatable. I just can't get beyond the sensation that oysters feel like snot.

Comment

• Strat50
          Strat50 commented
          Editing a comment
          When you smoke them right, they don't have that "snotty" texture.

Thanks for the input. Obviously not many oyster fans here in the Pit.

Comment

Oysters are delicious, I like a little horseradish, hot chilli and/or vinegar on mine. Maybe I'll try this soon, let us know how it turns out if you fire a batch up.

Comment

I love oysters I just have never thought about smoking my own. Going to have to try it.

Comment

Well, I smoked a batch of oysters today. They turned ok, not great, but ok. I planned on using my Weber gas grill for the heat, and my Amazen Tube for the smoke, but couldn't find a lighter that worked and couldn't light the tube. I ended up using my Rec Tec at about 190-200 on extreme smoke. They were a bit chewy, definitely not "snotty", so probably a little less time on the grill next time. Dipped in some Frank's and washed down with some local IPA and they were a decent appetizer

Comment

I'm a huge oyster fan and love raw the best. Oysters are delicate and take on smoke quickly so depending on how you like them and your grill temp, they could be ready in 20 minutes. Try a small dab of freshly made chimichurri sauce on them. Chop up some cilantro, parsley, lemon juice with a little lemon zest, a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes, olive oil and kosher salt. Maybe press a clove of garlic in there if you like it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here