Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fish Batter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fish Batter

I have some catfish in the freezer that needs to be cook. Anyone have a good catfish batter recipe that you don't mind sharing?

DW. Does it have to be batter? Are you good with a dry mix?

DWCowles ,

Comment

If you want batter for a "deep fry" (always good with catfish), I would start equal parts of beer & flour. Season (salt, pepper,cayenne, etc...) to suit your fancy.

Comment

I'd be tempted to try this AB recipe (his are usually pretty good): http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...sh-recipe.html

Comment

Be sure and dry the fish first (the permanent press setting on your dryer works well--LOL) and then dust it in flour, shake off excess flout, then hit the batter.

Comment

I love cornmeal with some Tony's mixed in.

Comment

I flat out love a commercial brand; Shore Lunch Cajun Style. A bunch of Bluegill, Crappie, Catfish or Perch breaded in that stuff then deep fried simply can't be beat.

Comment

Have to agree with ribeyeguy - Shore Lunch Cajun is really good.

Comment

Zatarain's makes a pretty good breading.

Comment

This is an Emeril Lagasse recipe and I've used it for years! It's good for shrimp too.

Cut catfish into desired piece size. Mix up buttermilk and hot sauce (I like Louisiana Hot Sauce) until the buttermilk is pink. Soak up to 30 minutes. On a piece of waxed paper pour a pile of Zatarain's unseasoned fish fry and sprinkle generously with your favorite Cajun seasoning (I'm partial to Bon CaCa out of New Iberia, but Tony's works). Mix seasoning into fish fry. Roll catfish in fish fry. Do all the breading while your deep fry oil (peanut for me, always) gets hot. Drop catfish in hot oil. MONITOR this closely! Pull out of oil when done.

Homemade Tartar Sauce

Finely chopped sweet onion
                    finely chopped sweet gerkins (not pickle relish)
                    Mayo

Mix and serve with fried catfish or shrimp.

Cocktail Sauce (this is actually my favorite for fried catfish too)

Heinz Ketchup
                    Prepared horseradish
                    splash of Worchestershire

Mix and adjust to taste.

Don't forget Lemon!

Comment

• DWCowles
                      DWCowles commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks CandySueQ I will give this a try

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here