Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I cook this Ahi steak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I cook this Ahi steak?

My wife came home from the grocery store today with a filet (for her) and a Tuna Ahi steak for me. Here is the tuna:

Click image for larger version  Name:	20230116_134054 (Medium).jpg Views:	0 Size:	165.4 KB ID:	1362688 Click image for larger version  Name:	20230116_124217 (Medium).jpg Views:	0 Size:	261.0 KB ID:	1362689
    It's about 1 inch thick. Can I just sear this like a seared Ahi I would get at a restaurant where in inside is essentially still raw? If so, what's the best way to sear it? My options are Weber kettle, Memphis Advantage pellet grill, maybe my Blackstone (it hasn't seen the light of day in over a year), Weber Traveler, cast iron, non-stick and stainless pans.

It looks like a nice piece of fish. I don't want to ruin it. Thanks in advance...
    Last edited by IdahoJim; January 16, 2023, 03:05 PM. Reason: Added Weber Traveler

I cook these as you mention, a sear on each side and that’s it. Something hot to cook it on, so your grill or blackstone, or the cast iron perhaps. But just screamin hot so it sears quick and leaves the inside how you would prefer it cooked.

Comment

Cast IRon

Comment

If you sear this on cast iron or a griddle, I would be sure to oil the cooking surface liberally. I think fish like this will stick and tear up otherwise. Even if you end up searing on the kettle or other grill with regular grates, I would brush the grate (or the fish) with some sort of oil. I've not seared a tuna steak, but that is my experience grilling other fish.

Comment

I do these several times a month. Sprinkle with kosher salt and cayenne to taste, add a couple of tbsp of high smoke point oil (I use avocado or regular olive oil) in a CI skillet, get it good and hot (+ 375) and toss in a dozen or so peppercorns, let those sauté for a minute or so then fry that steak for a minute per side. I let the pan cool a little then add a pat of butter to the peppercorns until it melts then spoon the butter/peppercorn sauce over the fish.

Comment

I heat some grape seed oil then sprinkle some sesame seeds in the oil. Use enough seeds to totally cover one side. Let the seeds heat up just a bit then add the tuna. Sear the tuna on both sides, but keep the interior as raw as possible. Slice on the thin side and serve. We use a soy sauce and wasabi mixture to taste. Also peanut sauce is great. Don't forget the pickled ginger. I make this quite often as Costco can have some great tuna. Having friends over tonight for some smoked homemade crab cakes otherwise i would seriously consider making the tuna. Enjoy!

Comment

I mix olive oil and Tones Cajun seasoning from Sam's until it is the consistency of a good cream soup. We use that seasoning because the sodium content is really low. I will get the flat side of my GrillGrates or the Blackstone to 400-425. Add the seasoning mix to the fish and that side goes down. While that cooks I cover the other side with seasoning. I watch the sides and as it turns white at the edge I will flip it, probably 3 minutes on each side. On the plate I will drizzle some olive oil with a big pat of butter in the middle. When the fish is ready set it on oil/the butter, leave it sit for a minute or two, slice it and put them in the oil/butter mix another adult beverage and enjoy.

When I had my boat in Panama City Beach we would cook it this way when we got back to the dock. We thought about doing some on the way in (usually 25-50 miles) but that would not be legal and we wouldn't want problems with the Fish and Wildlife. Sometimes some might appear on a plate raw so we just had to finish it and no evidence of a cook.....just in case.

Comment

I like to put a light coat of melted butter on the cold fish until it solidifies. Hit it with some blacken seasoning (I like Paul Prudhomme's blackened redfish magic seasoning), Toss it in a very hot very lightly oiled CI pan for 1-2 minutes a side depending on thickness. Do it outside cause you are gonna be sending smoke signals! 😳😂
                Dip in soy and wasabi 😛

your piece looks previously frozen (light color) so it may not exactly be what you get at a restaurant when fresh, but still good!

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
                  Michael_in_TX commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I like your melted butter idea!

I echo everything everyone else has said here.

Here is my go-to method:

Pat dry the steak and season the top with salt. Season with a blackened/cajun/creole seasoning, letting some get on the plate. Rub the sides of the steak in the stuff that landed on the plate. Flip. Seasoning the new side with salt and more blackened/cajun/creole seasoning.

In a hot pan, put in a tbl or two of high-heat oil (I use avocado) and sear the steak for two minutes and thirty seconds per side. Remove. Let rest for a minute or two, then slice against the grain.

Enjoy.

I do this at least two times a week, I love it!

Comment

I do tuna steak on my pellet grill.

Comment

I got tired of paying ridiculous amounts for sashimi sushi from our local sushi place, and I keep these in the freezer, thaw them, and cut into thin strips to eat with my wife when she orders sushi rolls for dinner. I use wasabi and soy sauce as condiments. No internal parasites so far...And it's extremely satisfying to make my own sashimi.

Comment

You don't. Dice it and make poke with it. Don't forget the macadamia nuts for crunch!

Comment

I sear tuna steaks a couple times a year by putting a cooking grate on top of a fully involved chimney!

Comment

Well, I cooked that Ahi Tuna steak tonight. It turned out pretty good. Dry brined it for about half an hour, then put a little canola oil, fresh course ground pepper and some sesame seeds on it. Seared it over the Vortex on my 26 inch Weber kettle. Probably about 1 minute a side then another 30 seconds or so a side. Not bad for a first try. Next time, I will be more generous with the seasoning. Pardon the rushed pictures...
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	20230118_183501 (Large).jpg
Views:	168
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	1363819
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	20230118_183915 (Large).jpg
Views:	191
Size:	186.4 KB
ID:	1363818

Comment

• CaptainMike
                            CaptainMike commented
                            Editing a comment
                            As 'ol Bonesy would say, it looks pretty dang, dang good to me!

• smokenoob
                            smokenoob commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Nice job!

• IdahoJim
                            IdahoJim commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Looking at the image now, it looks like the sesame seeds just got burned. I think next time I'll try a good hot pan, but not as hot as a Vortex full of lump charcoal. And more sesame seeds...

what everybody else has shared --- lightly oil, sesame seeds (we use black specifically for this or poke purposes), in the cast iron for probably 2m per side give or take

slice thin and serve over some jasmine rice or perhaps atop salad greens with a soy-honey-ginger vinaigrette dressing

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here