Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To salty smoked fish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To salty smoked fish?

As I've been getting into BBQ'ing and smoking I have been trying to smoke Trout or Salmon, latest was covering in brown sugar and salt over night then lightly wiping off rub before smoking.
    To salty for us, so I'm thinking of rinsing the rub off before smoking, that ok?

Or a recipe for the trout/salmon that has less of a salty taste.
    Anybody??
    TIA

Al

Fish flesh is delicate. Overnight curing seems like overkill.
    Try reducing your curing time and rinse in very cold water.
    I normally "cure" or dry brine fish for 30 minutes, 1 hour Max.

Comment

Thanks, I'll give that a shot, fishing on Superior (MN) is done for the year, but I'll put this post on my smoker so I don't forget.
      al

Comment

Try 1 cup table salt, 2 cups brown sugar in a gallon of water. Soak skin on fillets overnight. Rinse, pat dry & hot smoke with a little more brown sugar on them as they smoke. Skin off fillets, or small trout (smaller than a salmon side) will need less time. Been doing salmon & lake trout with the same recipe for about 40 years. Very tasty and not at all salty.

Comment

Gonna have to catch more fish..
          Thanks
          al

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here