Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever try this (Salmon Burnt Ends)? Thoughts on timing and IT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone ever try this (Salmon Burnt Ends)? Thoughts on timing and IT

Hi all!

Thinking I am going to try and tackle these this week (https://overthefirecooking.com/smoke...on-burnt-ends/)

It says to smoke them for 4 hours, but I am worried they'll overcook. Anyone do anything similar? And if so, did they go by time or IT? If IT, what did they shoot for? I know Salmon is around 140/145 (I have the magnet on my fridge), but also know some folks do 120-125.

Thanks for the help!

It appears there will be no end to burnt ends.
    Sweet smoked Salmon nuggets, Okay call them salmon burnt ends.
    Bet you they will pair well with PBR.

Comment

• Baltimorelger
      Baltimorelger commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm always a sucker for a gimmick.

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      Me Too.

1) I'd not do this with high end salmon (king, etc).
    2) 125 is fine for stuff you're eating right off, but these are basically hot smoked salmon bites. At 250F or so they'll take about 1-2 hours. 150F or so will be fine.
    3) The pics they show aren't fully hot smoked or if they are, are just barely done.

Basically, I think the term burnt ends is misleading here. Regular BE are fully cooked, then diced, sauced and cooked more to combine. These are just cooked though until done, then sauced, then served. 4-5 hours is insane at normal temps BUT note that they're smoking at 185-200. If you can go that low, do and just use an instant read thermometer to check them after an hour.

Sadly, you might be forced to try one or two as they cook. For science.
    Last edited by rickgregory; November 1, 2021, 11:49 AM.

Comment

• Baltimorelger
      Baltimorelger commented
      Editing a comment
      Science is always a wonderful excuse for sampling along the way. I have a pellet grill that can get to that 185-195 range, so likely will use that. I'll just keep temping (and maybe try a few at 125 and a few later for comparison)

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      I think 125 would be fine if people are ok with medium rare fish. If you/they want more of a salmon candy texture, almost a jerky, go for a higher finish temp.

I don't see any way around sampling. Poor you.

Interesting recipe. I look forward to hearing about your results!

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      Ditto,

I would always say cook by temp, never by time. I would go until 130-135.

This is gonna be interesting. Make sure to let us know what you think. I would like to try this sometime. Not really sure they are true burnt ends, but the recipe still sounds tasty.

Comment

Exact number of times I've had smoked salmon, an been Pierced Orf=0

I was stationed on NAS Adak, AK fer th Salmon Run of 88; most of us had 100+ lbs of salmon to smoke.

Ya checked out yer fishin (snaggin) rod, an lectric smoker from MWR (Morale, Welfare, an Recreation), an away we went.

It was an amazin thing: we'uns was shoulder to shoulder, an th narrow waterway was literally filled with enough salmon to walk acrosst th water on. Snag fish with treble hook, repeat.

Once saw a Bald Eagle (Adak is a National Preserve, an they a effakin everywhere, even waitin on th mirror of yer Deuce, in th mornin, alla th Stop Sign posts, etc.) stoop, an take away a guys stringer, bout 6 feet from me...An amazin experience, which I will always stand in awe of.

Now, they's no trees to derive smokin wood from, on Adak...They IS a National Forest...I'm less than 6 ft tall, an was taller than said Forest...iirc, it was planted in 1955...

Anywho, we made marinades, Worsh Yer Sister, Soy, Teriyaki, Liquid Smoke, seasonins, an marinated our bounty, then stuck em in th lil SS Lectric smokers available, at th time/LOX...

Every single 120V receptacle on th base had a smoker plugged into it, at this time, an everwhere smellt of Salmon, an Liquid Smoke

Even after catchin, cleanin, an smokin my own harvest, I had in excess of 100 lbs. of Fresh Salmon.
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; November 1, 2021, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Cured. Some time in the fridge, and now on the smoker. Adapted the recipe and seasoned with some BBQ rub ala Malcom Reed and glazing them in a combo of Vinegar BBQ Sauce and hot sauce.

1 hour in and temping around 110.
        Attached Files

Comment

2 hours and 20 minutes later we’ve made it. Overall, I’m pleased with this recipe. While it doesn’t taste remotely like burnt ends (in texture or taste), they are pretty tasty and I would make again. I feel like a more teriyaki style one would be awesome tossed with rice and some stir fried veggies.
          Attached Files

Comment

• rickgregory
            rickgregory commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks good. What was your finish temp?

• Baltimorelger
            Baltimorelger commented
            Editing a comment
            Around 130 (give or take)

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here