Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Salmon on Cedar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Salmon on Cedar

I did this last weekend. I used my old broken down Weber kettle. The key is skin the fish first. Don't try this with the skin on. It will be soggy fish.

Soak the cedar for 15 minutes. Then toast one side of the cedar board. Flip it over, then put the fish on it and cover to cook. So simple and very good. Garnish the fish as you want.

Don't forget to scale the skin and toss it over the direct fire. Flip it once. Amazing piece of skin.
    Last edited by Kingrex; July 25, 2021, 10:52 PM.

What, no pix? How do we know it ever happened?
    😜

Comment

Thanks for the tips!

No such thing as a broken down Weber. Broken, sure. But never down!
      Last edited by HawkerXP; July 26, 2021, 06:13 AM.

Comment

King Salmon for Kingrex! I like it! Welcome to the pit!

Comment

Hello from NW Oregon
          Cider plank salmon, No Thank You, tried it one time, that was enough.
          Did not pair well with PBR.
          Last edited by bbqLuv; July 26, 2021, 08:27 AM.

Comment

I used to do this a lot about 15 to 20 years ago, and congrats on a successful cook!

The issue I had was that you end up tossing the cedar planks after one use. And its not like you can be sure the planks are clean to begin with - you don't want soap in the wood by washing it. And with fish, you never get the fish side of the plank hot enough to be sure it is sanitized. I had given up on it and just grilled the fish on the cooking grate of my Weber or on Grillgrates even before reading this article:

Planking is a popular method for cooking fish like salmon on a grill. Fans claim that soaking the wood in water gently steams the fish, which gets nice and smoky from the smoldering wood. Planking makes a nice presentation and helps keep fish from sticking to the grill, but the rest is mostly bunk. Here's the science.

Comment

• N227GB
              N227GB commented
              Editing a comment
              My local Aldi has fresh salmon fillets packaged with cedar planks. But I like the outside of salmon to be a little crispy.

You're doing it wrong..

Click image for larger version

Name:	ESP_2145-500x500.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	1066850

Comment

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              "Let me stand next to your fire"!

• rickgregory
              rickgregory commented
              Editing a comment
              FYI, all, that's a picture from Tillicum Village, a rather touristy place that does this and other things that are allegedly in the traditional Native American Salish style https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tillicum_Village

• Meathead
              Meathead commented
              Editing a comment
              THOROUGHLY enjoyed my visit to Tillicum island and the salmon!

Why would it not be sterile? I toasted the side the fish sits on. I'm eating the fish immediately and it's cooked through.

If I wanted to start picking apart techniques, what about the GrillGrates being made of aluminum. Everyone with Alzheimer has elevated aluminum in their blood. Not everyone with elevated aluminum gets Alzheimer. But it gives me pause to cook on it.

Comment

Kingrex Like I said, I used to do it myself. I suppose it would be sterile enough if you toast the plank before putting the fish on it. I was just steering you to Meathead 's article on planking. I was just pointing out the article on planking in case you had not read it, in interests of education for all - after all, we all come here to learn, don't we?

On the subject of aluminum - Grillgrates have a hard anodizing layer on the surface which should prevent any leaching of aluminum into food. That layer cannot be easily scratched or scraped off either. My grandmother cooked for 5-6 decades using an old set of aluminum cookware and never showed any sign of mental decline, and I had that cookware myself for many years after she passed. Considering over 60% of cookware sold is aluminum, I am not sure its a valid safety concern with quality cookware, which will be either anodized or hard anodized. Plus scientists have pretty much debunked the link between aluminum (the 3rd most abundant element on earth) and Alzheimers. Go to the Alzheimer's Association website and read "Myth #4":

https://www.alz.org/alzheimers-demen...zheimers/myths
              Last edited by jfmorris; July 27, 2021, 02:46 PM.

Comment

• Attjack
                Attjack commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm always impressed by how well informed you are about various subjects and how well you communicate the information to the rest of us.

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                Attjack I guess that makes me the Cliff Claven of the Pitmaster Club.... my wife says its just being a know-it-all, haha.

I planked some king salmon this weekend. I don't soak the planks because I want the smoke to flavor the fish.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Resizer_16274131363430.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.13 MB ID:	1067502

Click image for larger version  Name:	Resizer_16274130197771.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.16 MB ID:	1067500

Click image for larger version  Name:	Resizer_16274130197770.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.65 MB ID:	1067501

Comment

• barelfly
                barelfly commented
                Editing a comment
                How fresh was that King?

• Attjack
                Attjack commented
                Editing a comment
                barelfly It was fresh from Fort Bragg. I also cooked a Steelhead and to my surprise, I thought the Steelhead stole the show. Most of the accolades about the meal however were about the kale salad and then the fish.
                Last edited by Attjack; July 27, 2021, 03:02 PM.

Nice fish Attjack. I have cooked Steelhead, King and Silver all on one cook. All fresh from the ocean or costal river. The Steelhead was the best. Its a toss up the king or Silver. I like Silver. I also like the pinks. And they are just about to start running near me.

Comment

Originally posted by jfmorris View Post
                Kingrex

On the subject of aluminum - Grillgrates have a hard anodizing layer on the surface which should prevent any leaching of aluminum into food. That layer cannot be easily scratched or scraped off either. My grandmother cooked for 5-6 decades using an old set of aluminum cookware and never showed any sign of mental decline, and I had that cookware myself for many years after she passed. Considering over 60% of cookware sold is aluminum, I am not sure its a valid safety concern with quality cookware, which will be either anodized or hard anodized. Plus scientists have pretty much debunked the link between aluminum (the 3rd most abundant element on earth) and Alzheimers. Go to the Alzheimer's Association website and read "Myth #4":

https://www.alz.org/alzheimers-demen...zheimers/myths
                I will research this more. I stopped using traditional deodorant long ago because of this. But information does change over time.

Comment

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah - things like this seem to go around in cycles. My mother in law (83) is fond of getting my wife stirred up over using foil, then its over using plastic wrap, and then its don't have sugar, then don't have artificial sweetener - now they are both using honey instead, haha. I can't keep up with those two and the rumors they follow.

Originally posted by jfmorris View Post
                I used to do this a lot about 15 to 20 years ago, and congrats on a successful cook!

The issue I had was that you end up tossing the cedar planks after one use. And its not like you can be sure the planks are clean to begin with - you don't want soap in the wood by washing it. And with fish, you never get the fish side of the plank hot enough to be sure it is sanitized. I had given up on it and just grilled the fish on the cooking grate of my Weber or on Grillgrates even before reading this article:

https://amazingribs.com/more-techniq...ting-planking/
                Here's a tip. Plank you appetizer then reuse the plank for your main dish. I planked this cheese and then used the cedar for Steelhead.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210727_144616.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	1067943

Comment

• Attjack
                  Attjack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Then it became firewood.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here