Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What’s Your Favorite Way To Cook Scallops?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whatever you do dont overcook them! jiggle jiggle......

Comment

MBMorgan You got me to thinking. What do y’all think about this? While the kettle is getting ready, dry the scallops and put them in the freezer just long enough to get real cold. After adding a few hickory chunks and coals are ready and smoking, put the ice cold scallops in a dry CI skillet off the heat, low and slow for maybe 5 minutes or so. By being extra cold, the scallops shouldn’t cook too much during this time, while absorbing a little smoke. Then remove the scallops from the pan. Add some butter, little canola oil, and white wine. Place my skillet over the coals till searing hot. Add a little garlic and the scallops at the same time. Sear until browned. This might give me the smoke flavor I’d like to try.
      Last edited by Panhead John; June 18, 2021, 03:51 PM.

Comment

• MBMorgan
        MBMorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        I’d say it sounds definitely worth a try.

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        I suggest using a Phat Mat if you're going to try this. Scallops can be sticky lil buggers otherwise

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        I don’t have one. I was gonna spray a little Pam in the CI before adding the scallops.

Pan seared in my garlic butter. Then wrapped up in bacon. Bacon pre cooked but not crispy. Then in pyrex in oven till bacon crisps up. I think 375. Only takes about 5 minutes for finish.

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        That definitely sounds good, might try that next time. Wrapped in bacon, can’t go wrong.

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        BACON!!!!
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; June 18, 2021, 07:16 PM.

Panhead John I've winged it a couple of times and came out pretty good. Marinate with soy sauce, water, ginger, & pepper, about 30 minutes in frig. Then get your fire med-hot, coat a grill basket w/oil, put scallops in basket and grill direct heat, about 4-5 minutes until opaque. Keep moving them around so they don't stick. Don't overcook, you'll be able to test one and see. Try it, could be fun.

Comment

Boil em until they float...

Any leftovers make right handy pencil erasers, as well...lol
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; June 18, 2021, 07:55 PM.

Comment

• RichieB
          RichieB commented
          Editing a comment
          I do that with ribs. It works with scallops too? Got to try that.

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          RichieB A Great Technique, often overlooked...

Here in Kansas Territory, By Gosh, an By Gum, we'uns KNOWS our Dang Danged Seafood LOL!!!
          Last edited by Mr. Bones; June 18, 2021, 07:17 PM.

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          😂😂😂
          Last edited by Panhead John; June 18, 2021, 06:55 PM.

Raw, as in nigiri style sushi is my favorite. but I do love them simply sautéed with butter and served with pasta dressed with oil and garlic (Aglio e Olio).
        Last edited by Bkhuna; June 19, 2021, 05:30 AM.

Comment

I've only done the pan sear method

Comment

Question for everyone. Last night I cooked 6 of the scallops. 2 of them had a small amount of noticeable "grit" in them. It wasn’t bad but it was like it had a little bit of fine "sand" in them. Similar to the occasional experience when eating raw oysters. Does anyone know what this could have been? Was it actually small particles of sand the scallop might have ingested while alive?

I did not rinse them off prior to cooking, are you supposed to rinse them first? Could that have been my problem?
            Last edited by Panhead John; June 19, 2021, 06:17 AM.

Comment

• Clark
              Clark commented
              Editing a comment
              Panhead John Of course you should have rinsed them first. Why do you think raccoons wash everything before they eat it?

Melt some butter, add some olive oil and garlic. Throw the scallops in the trash, pop the shrimp in the pan.

Just kidding of course, but i really dont like the taste of scallops. One of the few foods i actively dislike.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              They kinda taste like th seafood that smelled 'borderline questionable', yestidday mornin

Similar to you. I gently saute in butter till about half done. Then squeeze on lemon juice (or white wine) while the finish up. This deglazes the pan and creates an AMAZING gravy to put over rice or noodles.

You could do this as two steps, remove the scallops and then deglaze the pan. That can give a bit more control as far as not over cooking.

I love deep fried breaded scallops, but have never tried making those myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Panhead John View Post
              Question for everyone. Last night I cooked 6 of the scallops. 2 of them had a small amount of noticeable "grit" in them. It wasn’t bad but it was like it had a little bit of fine "sand" in them. Similar to the occasional experience when eating raw oysters. Does anyone know what this could have been? Was it actually small particles of sand the scallop might have ingested while alive?

I did not rinse them off prior to cooking, are you supposed to rinse them first? Could that have been my problem?
              Common problem with all shellfish. Could be sand or could be bits of shell. Pre-rinsing can help, but some argue too much rinsing can lose flavor.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidNorcross View Post
                I cook on a hot grill and serve over grits
                Sounds yummy. I have always served rice since the yummy juice must not e wasted. But sounds like a GREAT alternative..

Comment

In a Wok!

Comment

• RolfTaylor
                    RolfTaylor commented
                    Editing a comment
                    OK FireMan, you're a punny guy. Did you hear Sony came out with a portable wok?

It's called the Wok Man!

On Christmas Eve I was going to grill them at my brother’s house. He assured me he had 2 tanks. He was correct in that he had 2 tanks but they were both empty. Packers fan, so I wasn’t surprised. I ended up doing them In the oven using the broiler on high. I seasoned then a little bit and coated them in a marinade I made. Then I wrapped them in bacon and they were fantastic. Second time I made them I did them on them on my grill, again wrapped with bacon. They were an appetizer for a dinner party. Both times I used Costco scallops, which is my go to. I originally was going to smoke them but I didn’t have the time and they ended up being fantastic. The key is to dry , dry, and dry them. And don’t rely on a Packers fan.
                  Last edited by radiodome21; June 20, 2021, 04:33 PM.

Comment

• Panhead John
                    Panhead John commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Not too many of em down here in Texas. 😎

I'm generally a fan of a simple butter sear, but here's one of my favorite scallop recipes from Pampered Chef:
                  An infusion of two simple ingredients, fresh basil and whipping cream, creates a rich and decadent sauce that is easy to prepare.

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
                    Michael_in_TX commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That cream sauce is an interesting idea....hmm.....

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here