Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about butter as a binder - will it impact dry brining?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about butter as a binder - will it impact dry brining?

Howdy AR - I'm in need of your expertise! For our Thanksgiving bird, I bought a Williams Sonoma Butter Basted Turkey Rub this year. The past two years I bought something they sold specifically as a "dry brine", and used it as I typically would - just straight on the bird. What I bought this year is sold as a "rub" though not a dry brine (not quite as salty), and the instructions say to mix it with butter, apply to the bird, and cook. Well... I tasted it, and its got some salt - kosher salt is the first ingredient. But I want to work butter into the mix here this year, so I'm considering two options and I need your input!

Option #1:
    1. Soften some butter and mix the rub into it
    2. Apply on/under the skin ahead of time (Tuesday night) to dry brine the bird
    3. Smoke as usual on Thursday
    4. Baste with melted butter mixed with some reserved rub with 60 and 30 min to go
    My concern here is - will the butter prevent the salt from penetrating the meat, effectively negating the dry brining process? I read the Science of Rubs article, and I get the part about oil vs. water, but... couldn't really find an answer to this question. But I definitely want the bird dry brined.

Option #2:
    1. Dry brine the bird with kosher salt (a little less than I'd normally use) starting Tuesday night
    2. Soften some butter and mix the rub into it
    3. Apply on/under the skin just before smoking the bird
    4. Smoke as usual on Thursday
    5. Baste with melted butter mixed with some reserved rub with 60 and 30 min to go
    My concern here is - getting the bird too salty. Its a big hunk of meat though... an 18.5 pounder. If it was a butt, I don't think I'd be concerned.

I guess there's an Option #3:
    1. Dry brine the bird in the rub starting Tuesday night (no butter binder)
    2. Smoke as usual on Thursday
    3. Baste with melted butter mixed with some reserved rub with 60 and 30 min to go
    I was hoping to get the butter into play though more than just basting at the end. The instructions on the rub say to mix it with butter before applying, and Google found a handful of BBQ personalities who mix their rubs with butter and apply to their turkeys.

So... What would YOU do? Does anyone know the impact of butter on the dry brining process? Is there another option I should consider?

Thanks!

ps - it is a fresh organic turkey, not pre-brined in any way
    Last edited by FishTalesNC; November 23, 2020, 02:41 PM.

I'm basically doing option #2, but instead of basting I'll wait until the breast warms up and use an injector to shoot melted butter into the breasts. I've tried butter balling a cold bird before, and while it works it's a PITA since the butter just solidifies in the cold meat.

Comment

• mnavarre
      mnavarre commented
      Editing a comment
      I just use a cheap plastic injector from the grocery store, just make sure it's got a metal needle.

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      And be sure the butter is nice and warm, otherwise it wants to congeal in the needle of the injector, FishTalesNC . I always inject the turkey breast with butter.

If you see Tony Chacere's poultry injections in the marinade section, they always have an injector included. TC injection marinades are pretty good on chicken, too, so its a win-win.

Kathryn

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks mnavarre and fzxdoc ! I think for this bird I’m leaning towards RonB ‘s idea, it’s more "what I know" and feels safer for Thanksgiving. But you’ve convinced me to pursue the injection path, and my wife LOVES turkey - I smoke a couple others during the year, she usually takes one of those to work, and I plan on injecting the next one! 👍🏻

You might consider using ghee in place of butter for whatever method you choose. Butter is in the neighborhood of 15% water and that will not help the skin get crispy.

Another option would be to apply some rub by itself Tuesday and give that a day to do it's magic. Then use the rub mixed with whatever you decide to use on Wednesday. You will have to decide if it's worth the extra step.

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      One additional step in Option #3 - I like it! 👍🏻

Butter is fat/oil is it not. When hot will it melt not run off taking the seasoning. But then so is mayo, and that is used.
    Give it a try and let us know.

Comment

I was going to say door #3.

Comment

• FishTalesNC
        FishTalesNC commented
        Editing a comment
        Great minds thinking alike... 👍🏻

What my wife does (she handles the turkey for Thanksgiving) is dry brine with the rub we use the day before, and then just before the turkey goes into the cooker she mixes the remaining rub with softened butter and then puts that mixture under the skin. We've done it this way for years and always get raves.

Comment

• FishTalesNC
        FishTalesNC commented
        Editing a comment
        You guys only put the butter mixture under the skin? Not on it? Do you ever baste with melted butter/rub mixture during the cook?

• Dan Deter
        Dan Deter commented
        Editing a comment
        No. Now, we are doing it in a turkey roaster and keeping the lid on (the addition of my leave in thermometer has helped). I don't know if using a smoker would require any extra basting. I don't think so, but no actual experience there. I think on the outside would just moisten the skin and then run off.

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        FishTalesNC I also rub the butter on the skin as well as under it, but I don’t baste. And unlike chicken, I aim for bite through skin rather than crispy. I think that is from growing up with oven roasted turkey, my grandma’s and my mom’s turkey skins were always bite through.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here