Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using Sage with the Cow Crust, and dry brine for 4 days ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using Sage with the Cow Crust, and dry brine for 4 days ??

Good Day everyone, This is my 1st post {I think} I have 2 questions :::
    Ill be cooking a 10lb {5 rib removed} Prime Rib roast on a Weber 22" Kettle, using the snake method with the coals,,,this will be my 5th roast like this...I will be using Mrs Oleary's Cow Crust, and I am considering adding Sage to the recipe...any thoughts, suggestions, NoNos, YesYes...anything...Good Idea to report back, or NOT a good Idea ???? if Im in the wrong forum let me know as well

I have a 2nd question as well...I have dry brined the entire roast before with Mortons Kosher flake salt usually 24 hours...any benefit, or issues If I dry brine this one on Tues for this Saturday Thanksgiving feast...that will be about a 4 day dry brine ?

Im personally not a fan of sage with beef but its down to taste. As for the 4 day brine, never tried it but if you are going to do it then i would wrap in plastic wrap as opposed to leave uncovered for 24 hours. Im sure you will get some more concrete advice from others here.

Welcome from NJ!

Comment

• GreyHoundRunner
      GreyHoundRunner commented
      Editing a comment
      Ill try the sage on another cut with the cow crust and see if its manageable, Ill update you all on that thank you for response !!

I think 48 hours is enough for the dry brine, otherwise wrap the meat as suggested by GrantGallagher if you want to go longer. I've not used sage on a prime rib but I think it would be OK in moderation - sage can get pretty strong. And Welcome to The Pit!

Comment

• GreyHoundRunner
      GreyHoundRunner commented
      Editing a comment
      I was planning to vacuum seal the roast after I dust it with kosher salt...Its more of a timein g and schedule issue is why I thought of brining it a few days before hand..otherwise I'm trying to do too much in the remaining time I have left...thank you for your response
      Last edited by GreyHoundRunner; November 22, 2020, 03:15 PM.

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!

Lookin forward to learnin along with, an from ya, amigo!

Reckon a lil bitta sage ain't gonna hurt nuthin, if that's th flavour profile yer lookin fer.

Please, leave us know how this cook comes out, pics an, all...

Comment

If you are really after a lot of flavor, just smash an onion or head of garlic then toss it on your coals.

Comment

I love sage, and as long as it's rubbed or powdered it shouldn't negatively affect the rub except for folks who hate sage But I agree with the above. If you want a BIG flavor difference ya gotta go garlic or pepper, but with a prime rib you want the meat to shine through so sage might be the way

Comment

I'd go with Rosemary over Sage for beef but that's me.
            As mentioned Sage can be overpowering.

Comment

Are you wanting to dry brine for 4 days because of convenience?
              I just smoked 3 eye round roasts. they were Liberally dry brined for 24 hours (used more like 3/4 teaspoon per pound) - pulled out of fridge about an hour before cooking - seasoned one with the Meathead's salt free Memphis rib rub(yes with sugar) the other two I did a mix of ground rosemary, garlic powder, black pepper. I then made a paste with water, cocoa chile powder, onion powder, garlic powder and rubbed on all three.
              Pretty darn happy with the flavor - it is personal taste - I like your idea of trying it on a less expensive cut. Not sure you need to dry brine for 4 days.
              Always cautious about ending up with too much salt...
              I also agree with "itsallgonetothedogs" going with the standard rub lets the prime rib meat shine. follow the recipe strictly the first time and then adapt and evolve on the ones after to fit your tastes.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here