Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rub Texture????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gotta admit thats a jammin Journey tune.
    Last edited by Jon Solberg; August 12, 2014, 09:34 PM.

Comment

I like the song Faithfully. Memories of being a youngster.

Comment

• boftx
        boftx commented
        Editing a comment
        Memories of? You still are.

And this long distance dedication goes out to mod AHL. Its the 1982 single released by the mega band Journey....

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Timeless..

And here is one just for Jon because he is such a caring fellow.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        lol, good stuff

I just peed a little...lol lol lol

Comment

• boftx
        boftx commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh hell! I gotta buy more stock in Depends.

Going to do some testing this weekend. Going to process some rub and apply with a short sit. Going to do a second rack with a long sit without running the rub thru the mill. Watch this space.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
        Going to do some testing this weekend. Going to process some rub and apply with a short sit. Going to do a second rack with a long sit without running the rub thru the mill. Watch this space.

Are you putting the salt in the rub or are you applying it as a separate dry brine?

Comment

• Jon Solberg
          Jon Solberg commented
          Editing a comment
          Salt free rub. Dry brine 20-24 hours before the rub goes on.

• David Parrish
          David Parrish commented
          Editing a comment
          OK good, otherwise you're doing a salt test more than a rub test.=)

Texture Test Part 1

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
          Texture Test Part 1

Jon that's an awesome video. We can't wait to see how things turn out. When you post the result, can you provide a short text description of how the control and test ribs differ? I think that'd help people keep track of what you described in the part 1 video as they watch the part 2 video.

Comment

Okay, heres a looonnnggg look and my prep and rub test. Just to recap, yesterday I made a batch of MMD. I ran some thru a blender to process it to a very fine powder. Some I left as is.

I rubbed:

1/2 rack with the UNprocessed MMD. Let it sit for 40 min.

1/2 rack with processed MMD Let it sit for 40 min.

1 rack with UNprocessed MMD let the sit for 4 hours.

I'll these were in the fridge.

(the butcher twine was used to mark my control)

I'll post the results in a comment as well.

Comment

• Jon Solberg
              Jon Solberg commented
              Editing a comment
              Final Results:

1/2 rack with processed MMD Let it sit for 40 min. NO NOTICED TEXTURE

1 rack with UNprocessed MMD let the sit for 4 hours. NO NOTICED TEXTURE

1/2 rack with the UNprocessed MMD. Let it sit for 40 min. TEXTURE WAS THERE!

Mystery solved!

I'm having some Vimeo issues.
              Join the web’s most supportive community of creators and get high-quality tools for hosting, sharing, and streaming videos in gorgeous HD with no ads.
              Last edited by Jon Solberg; August 20, 2014, 12:20 PM.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here