Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mmd diabetic question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mmd diabetic question

Hey all , I have someone wanting me to smoke them a 9lb butt with mmd on it as they loved the sample they had from my wife’s lunch 🤗 they want to share it with a diabetic and wondered how much sugar is in it.
    Any idea on how to figure that? Would the amount be so small it wouldn’t matter being as I would just cover the outside of the whole butt? Thanks for any thoughts tips insight !!!

Meathead talks about that issue in his recipe:
    This popular Memphis dust bbq dry rub recipe is the only seasoning blend you'll ever need for pork, chicken, fish, beef, and veggies. The rub is based on Memphis style BBQ, where ribs are served "dry," letting the seasoning and smoked shine by skipping the sauce.

Comment

Meathead points out how little sugar there is per serving but it is possible to make MMR with the Swerve white and brown sugar products. I have done it and I can attest that at 225F on a pork butt it works well. You can make South Carolina gold with sugar free ketchup. There are sugar free bbq sauces that are edible.

I am keto and basically use MMR as is because it is relatively low carb on a "per serving" basis...in other words for me personally I am fine with the Meathead interpretation. But should you be REALLY concerned, there are zero sugar options.

Comment

To be honest, most people eat more than one serving. Most suggested servings are small. If ya load up a sandwich you could have 2 to 4 depends. That puts one in the range of a 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp of sugar. That could be trouble, depending on the condition of the person. My wife is diabetic. What I have done when making MMD I will halve the sugar & put half again stevia or I have just substituted with stevia. My best results are 50/50? Keeping in mind most bread or buns contain sugar, so I am very watchful of that & pick buns with no sugar, which by the way is no walk in the park. Sugar is almost in everything. One must be extremely careful of HFCS (high fructose corn syrup).

Comment

MMD is basically half sugar by volume.

So if you use a 1/4 cup of rub on a pork butt, you can estimate that it’s 2 TBS of sugar on the entire butt and then divide that by number of servings to get a rough number.

Comment

As a type 2 diabetic I has studied my blood sugar levels in detail, I can attest that the body can deal with an occasional small dose of sugar very effectively. A constant high carb diet is where you come unstuck, monitor carbs as a whole, don't just focus on sugar, as I'm sure fracmeister will attest. I have found leaning towards the keto style diet and keeping to <30grams of carbs in a meal keeps my diabetes in check. Also lost the over 15 kilo's last year but the best part is you can still eat plenty of meat as well!!
            Diabetes is a very personal journey to manage but this works for me

Comment

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              Yup, I was on insulin & pills & lost 30 lbs, which is about 15 kilos give or take a kilo. Now off of everything. Watch the carbs on top of eliminating sugar.
              Last edited by FireMan; October 4, 2020, 04:54 AM.

So you got me thinking and writing. I deleted my post above because there were some math errors. Here's the full story

I often get asked about the sugar in rubs and other recipes. Is it necessary? Can I use less? Can I use a sugar substitiute?
            Sugar is a common addition because it is a flavor enhancer, it helps browning, it helps with crust formation, and it balances bitterness and acidity.

Sugar subsitutes may work fine in sweetening your tea and in some sauces, but not in spice blends. That’s because the chemical properties of this colorless, odorless, crystal are unique and what happens to them on meat when heat applies is special.

Sugar plays a role in the Maillard reaction, the most important chemical reaction in cooking. The Maillard reaction is often oversimplified by calling it the browning reaction, but it is much more complex. It is the transformation of proteins, amino acids, and sugars into new compounds that are rich in flavor. The crust on a steak or the bark on ribs is primarily due to this chemical powerhouse.

Another chemical reaction, caramelization, is important in cooking. During caramelization water is released and new caramel-like flavors are formed. Different sugars caramelize at different temperatures and that is why some recipes call for more than one type of sugar.

Fructose: 230°F
            Glucose: 320°F
            Sucrose: 320°F
            Lactose: 397°F

Sugar also is hygroscopic, it attracts water. So when a rub with sugar is applied to meat, it pulls moisture to the surface where it dissolves the sugar and some of the other spices and their ingredients. Salt has the same effect, but salt can penetrate the meat and move deep into the meat. Sugar and spices are too large to go past the tiny cracks and pores on the surface, so they remain there and cook, their chemistry changing with the heat. The more the sugar is cooked, the less sugar and sweetness remain.

Sugar is even more crucial in baking. Of course it is the favorite food for yeasts, it is also crucial in the Maillard reaction and the browning of crusts, in caramelization in making pastries, it traps air when beaten with butter (creaming), it is essential for thickening and stability of beaten egg whites, and holding its moisture when cooked.

So let's do the math. Our most popular rub, Meathead’s Memphis Dust is 60% sugar. Let's say you apply 1 tablespoon per side on a slab of ribs. So on a slab of ribs there are about 3.6 teaspoons of sugar. During cooking, some of it melts and drips off leaving, let’s say 2.5 teaspoons. So if you eat half a slab you are getting 1.25 teaspoons of sugar. The glycemic load is about 4, about the same as 8 ounces of skim milk. Compare that with a slice of white bread with a GL of 10.

If you use 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) of Meathead’s Memphis Dust on a pork butt that’s about 2.4 tablespoons of sugar. After drip loss, let’s say there are 2 tablespoons left. From an 8 pound butt there will be about 6 pounds after shrinkage during cooking. If a serving is a generous 1/2 pound, there are 12 servings dividing those 2.4 tablespoons of sugar (about 7 teaspoons), or a bit more than 1/2 teaspoon per serving, all of it on the bark. Glycemic load about 1.75.

Read about the Maillard reaction and caramelization here
            https://amazingribs.com/more-techniq...gbd-bark-crust
            Read about crust and bark here
            https://amazingribs.com/more-techniq...s-us-howl-more
            Read more about sugar here
            https://amazingribs.com/more-techniq...eeteners-sugar
            Read more about the science of rubs here
            https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...s/science-rubs
            Last edited by Meathead; October 6, 2020, 08:29 PM.

Comment

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you! To the author of "the science of Great BBQ & Grilling"!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here