Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Do You Test Your Rubs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Do You Test Your Rubs?

I know that pork butts and ribs can be purchased fairly cheap so it's not too expensive to experiment a new rub idea on one and if it doesn't work out, oh well. What about briskets though? I can't really see spending $50-$100 to experiment each time. Do any of you ever try out a different, cheaper cut of meat for testing purposes? Like using a small beef roast in the smoker to test a rub idea instead of a brisket or am I just being too cheap? Thanks!

I’d suggest smoking several ~3-4 lb chuck roasts. Each with a different rub. All the results will be delicious.

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      I like this idea - I would even say beef ribs. You get a lot of surface area and a good beefy flavor from the meat.

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm wif dis guy

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Great idea. (Just now reading this topic.)

K.
      Last edited by fzxdoc; March 30, 2020, 07:00 AM.

Yep! Chuck roasts are a cheap way to go. And they are really good too.

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Dis guy 2

I think the idea of a chuck roast is spot on. If you have several rubs, just cut the chucks in half to test more rubs in one cook.

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      And dis guy

I've done this with chuck roasts several times. It's a great way to go. You can do several at a time for direct side by side comparisons without breaking the bank. One time I even did 4 on 4 different types of cookers to test what type of cooker I liked best. And they are always good enough to eat.
    "You know one is really good when it doesn't make it from the cutting board to the plate."

Comment

100 or so folks. No complaints good to go.

Comment

• Randy-Phx
        Randy-Phx commented
        Editing a comment
        If your looking for a good brisket rub, start with @Jerod Broussard’s 👆. He posted it on the forum somewhere.

Outside of the uncommon sale, prime brisket at Costco is the cheapest beef I can buy locally - usually ~$3.69/lb. If I wanted to test multiple rubs I’d get one of those and cut it into pieces.

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Good point - the Costco briskets run about a buck less per pound than choice chuck roast.

• hogdog6
        hogdog6 commented
        Editing a comment
        Costco is where I buy all my chucks and briskets they are great priced. However considering you end up with close to 1/2 the weight of a brisket trimmed away I double the price in my head.

Chuckie! to the rescue!

Comment

Wow. Shocked I wake up to this many responses. The chucks it shall be! Love the idea too of doing several at once and trying different smokers. Fire up the pellet grill and drum smoker as soon as we dig out of snow this weekend. Thanks so much for the help! Jerrod, your brisket combo rub is one I'm gonna be trying

Comment

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Let us know how you like Jerod's rub. I'm making up a batch this weekend too.

Kathryn

• hogdog6
          hogdog6 commented
          Editing a comment
          Do it!

chuckie, chuckie, chuckie, chuckie........okay, I will stop now.

Comment

I think your'e just being too cheap! (LOL)

Comment

brisket is cheaper than Chuck here. Prime for $3.49lb choice on sale for $2.19 lb regularly.

Comment

• Steve R.
              Steve R. commented
              Editing a comment
              Same here. Choice chuck roast is almost twice the cost of prime brisket most of the time now.

My local grocery store has some chucks on sale for $2.69 a pound. Pretty much the lowest price I have seen for a decent piece of beef. Might just need to pick a few up and test a few different rubs. Chucks around here are usually $5-6 per pound and Costco briskets are $3.79 right now.

Comment

• Santamarina
              Santamarina commented
              Editing a comment
              My local Stater Bros had chuckles on sale for $2-something/lb a month ago. I bought every one they had. Normally it’s $5+/lb, so I stick with brisket.

Still fun to eat the "mistakes".

Comment

I always try beef rubs on a roast to be smoked AND a steak to sear. The difference in cooking method makes a huge difference. Same with a butt/ribs and a chop for pork, and half chickens and boneless skinless thighs for poultry.

Comment

• Santamarina
                Santamarina commented
                Editing a comment
                Great point. *How* the heat hits it will make a difference, especially if there’s sugar in your rub!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here