Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

vinegar marinade recipes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

vinegar marinade recipes?

my neighbor brought me some of the best chicken ive had recently and he marinated it in vinegar, it tasted like port-a-pit , so im wondering if anyone has a vinegar marinade recipe or ratio of vinegar to salt and water brine they could share\... im thinking maybe 1 cup vinegar , 1 tbls worchestershire and some salt then cover with water...…. thanks

Try to reference a sauerbraten and see if that helps. That’s just off the top of my head though. Isn’t there an Asian style recipe that’s popular with black vinegar. Again I’m drawing a blank.

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh baby, sauerbraten is my family New Years meal. Would love to see HH recipe if you have a special one. My oldest brother sat our Grandmother down and wrote down her recipe because as we all know they never measured anything and nothing was on paper.

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      HawkerXP I was thinking out loud. I would love to have your recipe.

Port-a-pit? Not sure I know what that is. Is is something like port-a-potty?

Comment

Have you looked up Cornell chicken? Might just be want you are looking for. Also known as fireman chicken. I have cooked tons of it for our volunteer fire company.s fund raisers.

Added link https://www.thespruceeats.com/dr-bak...-recipe-101127
      Last edited by Donw; November 16, 2019, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Cornell Chicken, da best! Here is my variant that I have used for years for my "Roadside Chicken". I modeled this after years from eating at Brooks's BBQ in Oneonta just outside of Cooperstown NY many years ago living way up there.

I marinate the chicken for an hour or so in this stuff, also have a squirt bottle to apply it during the cook. Notice everything in the ingredients can fit through a squirt bottle nozzle, thus the white pepper... Dang dang good!

ROADSIDE CHICKEN

1 cup white vinegar
        1/2 cup veg oil
        1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
        1 TBS Sea or Kosher salt
        1 TBS white sugar
        1 tsp garlic powder
        1 tsp onion powder
        1 tsp white pepper
        1/2 tsp celery salt

Comment

• marshall
          marshall commented
          Editing a comment
          sounds like a winner, ill be trying it tomorrow, thank you......do u put any rub on the chicken before cooking?

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          That’ll work. Sounds great.

• JimLinebarger
          JimLinebarger commented
          Editing a comment
          Did this tonight and it was great! Thanks for the recipe!

I lived in Ithaca 18 yrs, taught at Cornell, and have a slightly modified, improved Cornell Chicken recipe here https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...chicken-recipe

Comment

• JoeSousa
          JoeSousa commented
          Editing a comment
          I have some chicken thighs on the menu for Thursday and didn't really know what I wanted to do with them. Now I know. Gonna give this one a shot.

• Argoboy
          Argoboy commented
          Editing a comment
          I made this today and I will cook it tomorrow, it is marinading now.

This sounds similar to the recipe Troutman posted awhile back. I made it and it was excellent.

When I moved to Houston in 1975, I found myself looking for a place to live in Seabrook, a coastal community along Galveston Bay that’s part of the booming

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          It is almost identical with the exception of adding Woody's cooking sauce. The Woody's makes it a whole different basting sauce. Marinade is pretty much Lonnie's however (its a Texas thing)

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          Troutman, yeah, I was talking about lonnie mac's. When I made it, I didn't have the Woody's yet. Got the Woody's now, just got to get around to making it.
          Last edited by klflowers; November 18, 2019, 03:53 PM.

I made this yesterday and it turned out pretty good, we will do it again. I smoked this on the Traeger, next time I may do it on my gas grill.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ADEA40CB-B695-42ED-87F0-0379C662ABA1.jpeg
Views:	321
Size:	233.8 KB
ID:	772860

Comment

• Donw
          Donw commented
          Editing a comment
          Outstanding looking chicken.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here