Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

rib rub suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rib rub suggestions?

This weekend im smoking 5 racks of baby back ribs, meathead Memphis dust is what I always use and will be putting on 3 racks, but can anyone recommend another great rub homemade or commercial to try out? Click image for larger version

Name:	20180422_182200.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	197.6 KB
ID:	747893
    thanks for recommendations!

I have been using Meat Church Honey Hog rub a lot lately on pork and chicken. If you are a fan of sweet rubs definitely check it out. For a good sweet/spicy rub the Barker BBQ Sweet Lou rub has honey powder like Honey Hog but has a bit more spice. I have been using both of those quite a bit lately.

Comment

John Henry Pecan Rub is what I use for ribs and chicken.

Comment

My most prized and revered rub concoction that my family and guests rave about is about a 1/3:1/3:1/3 ratio of Big Bad Beef Rub, Memphis Dust and my homemade Huskee's Rib Rub. The BBBR adds some nice kick, the other two compliment each nicely on different levels. The threepeat together makes one nice rack of ribs. I also add a brown sugar topper layer right as I place them on the smoker, on top of the 3 rubs. Sounds busy and involved, yes, but it's so good!

Comment

• marshall
          marshall commented
          Editing a comment
          your recipe says 3 tbsp.table salt,.... not kosher correct???

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          marshall correct, table. Or, better yet, just skip it and dry brine. If you do that though, add a LIGHT sprinkle of salt after the 3rd rub. The bark needs that salt sparkle IMO.

• marshall
          marshall commented
          Editing a comment
          mixing a batch now for this weekend!

Usually use my homemade rub but
        picked a bottle of this Hog Waller a few weeks back.
        Really good rub on pork although
        I do find it salty compared to my concoction. To be clear I’ve pretty much eliminated salt from my rub
        Attached Files

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          "Best in Texas!" (Wow, that's a bold claim! I surely believe it 100% lol ) Salt is dirt cheap and an easy filler, many commercial rubs use too much because it's in their best interests to do so. I like rubs that are low in salt myself.

The the above recommendations for Meat Church and John Henry's are great commercial rubs and I've used them a lot this year. Right now I'm hooked on Malcom Reeds "The BBQ Rub" and both of his BBQ sauces. Anymore there seems to be so many really good rubs on the market I no longer bother with making my own very often. I might tinker with mixing a couple together, like the above Honey and Pecan rubs. Or The BBQ Rub with a touch of a ghost pepper rub, a little sweet heat!!

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm with you, sorta. There's SO many highly-reviewed rubs that I simply can't try them all. Haven't tried any Oakridge (other than Black Ops), Meat Church, Dizzy Pig, Killer Hogs, etc etc etc.

Sodium in Hog Waller 21% per 480mg
        only good thing is it’s sea salt
        I have a bottle of Weber Bold Chipotle
        sodium is 4% per 100mg doesn’t specify salt type
        When I make a batch of rub usually about 2 cups worth there may be 2 level tablespoons of sea salt in it
        Attached Files
        Last edited by smokin fool; September 25, 2019, 08:17 PM.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          With those guys I'd just taste it on my fingertip and if it's salty use it as the dry brine. If it's not too salty, but sorta, use it as half the salt.

I like Meat Mitch’s Competition Rub for ribs. I bought a small bottle in the Wichita airport and was hooked. I bought a 7 lb jug of the stuff and a bottle of their sauce.

Comment

I cut the paprika for the Memphis Dust in half and replace it with a mix of, ground coriander, ground cumin, ground mustard seed, and just a pinch each of ground anise seed, and cinnamon. Freshly ground coriander and cumin are best in my opinion, but pre-ground is acceptable. Be very careful with the anise and cinnamon as they can both quickly overwhelm the rub. They are there to be background singers and fill out the harmony not be the leads.
          I'd give ya exact measurements, but I tend to use my hand as my go to measuring device when making changes to a recipe.
          Roughly it work out to 1/8 cup coriander, 1/8 cup cumin, 1 1/2 tsp mustard seed, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp anise seed.

Bubba.

Comment

This is my go-to, as of late, and it gets rave reviews:

• 1/4 cup kosher salt
            • 1 cup brown sugar
            • 1/2 cup chili powder (not a misprint )
            • 2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper, or a little heavier if you're feeling froggy
            • 2 tablespoons ground cumin
            • 1 tablespoon dry mustard
            • 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
            • 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper

This recipe results in a rub with a lot of flavor that you can apply liberally without getting a too salty end product. Sometimes I just forego the salt altogether and dry brine instead. Glaze with a bit of Sweet Baby Ray's original.
            Last edited by Steve R.; September 25, 2019, 10:49 PM.

Comment

Our own Henrik's Hank's KC Royale rub is pretty darn good.

Comment

• rodkeary
                rodkeary commented
                Editing a comment
                +1 for Hank's KC Royale. It has replaced MMD at our house for ribs.

• Henrik
                Henrik commented
                Editing a comment
                Great to hear, I use it extensively myself, and it's getting great reviews here in Sweden too.

Combination of these two; AP first then The BBQ Rub, are really good. Actually you can make your own AP rub leaving out the salt if you dry brine but the idea is still there, layers of flavor.
              Last edited by Troutman; September 26, 2019, 07:55 AM.

Comment

When its Ribs I use what the great Johnny Trigg uses- and that's Williams Rib Tickler Rub.

Comment

Oh man. Now you guys got me looking at Henrik 's rubs. I'm gonna have to order all 3. I knew about the beef rub, and the KC Royale. I was not aware of the "Signature" rub, which appears to contain coffee. Gonna have to try all 3 and see what its all about.

Comment

• jfmorris
                    jfmorris commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Henrik is Amazon the best place for me to buy your rubs, or is there somewhere else?

• klflowers
                    klflowers commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I haven't tried the Signature rub yet either, but I have the beef and KC Royale and use them on the regular, as my youngsters say. Got to get the signature.

• Henrik
                    Henrik commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Amazon is the way to go.

Great input !! all the recommendations will keep me busy for awhile, just what I need new flavors!!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here