Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Non sugar made rubs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non sugar made rubs

I among many have decided to go keto. I did look at some different posts. I didn't see any top talking about rubs without sugar. I need multiple options as my family likes the flavor. Any suggestions would be great. An annoying side note I can't do a lot of garlic powder yet. ( Reflux)

Look at the Splenda brown sugar...I use it a lot.

Comment

Be careful with Splenda it raises your blood pressure rapidly after eating it. My wife has high blood pressure and uses it carefully after her doctor warned . You might also be interested in this article that my health club instructer put me on. https://ketoconcern.com/sucralose-keto/
      Last edited by mountainsmoker; September 23, 2019, 06:57 PM.

Comment

I was looking for rubs with no sugar. Like a savory rub. I have found monk fruit is the best so far but not ready yet

Comment

• mountainsmoker
          mountainsmoker commented
          Editing a comment
          I have a book at home on making rubs and sauces but I won't get home for a little over a week as we are on vacation. Try to bring this back up if you have not gotten a decent answer by then and I will help you then. He is one of the top BBQ champions in Texas.

Stevia is a good natural herb.substitute, it is heat stable. You have to be careful how much you use as it can be up to 150 x sweeter than sugar depending on the brand. But it is keto approved. Go with herbs and spices for savory.
          Last edited by mountainsmoker; September 23, 2019, 08:18 PM.

If you have a homemade rub you like, just make it without the sugar. I've made Memphis Dust without sugar to use on meat I'm going to grill over direct heat so the meat doesn't over-brown. Just remember the volume of sugar in a rub dilutes the other seasonings, so if you make a no-sugar version, use it with a lighter hand to compensate.

Remember too that sugar breaks down with long heating and/or browning, so a lot of sugar in a rub doesn't necessarily mean there is a lot of sugar on the finished meat. IMO, a sweet sauce added at the end of a cook adds more sugar than a rub applied before cooking.
        Last edited by IowaGirl; September 23, 2019, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Remember also that it is the moistness of the meat melting the sugar that holds the rub on the meat. If you do not use sugar you will need to use something like mustard, which I have seen used in the pits in Texas where they only use salt and pepper for the rub.

Comment

• IowaGirl
            IowaGirl commented
            Editing a comment
            I haven't noticed any particular need to use mustard to help a no-sugar no-salt rub stick to the meat. A spritz of water or oil works fine if needed. But the surface of the meat is generally moist and/or fatty enough to be sufficiently sticky for my purposes. I want my rub to stick, so if it wasn't, I'd do something about it, but it works fine without the extra fussing.

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree with IowaGirl - I often use sugar free commercial rubs, and have no issues with them sticking if the meat is moist when applied. And no issues with bark on my meat without sugar in the rubs either.

• Dadof3Illinois
            Dadof3Illinois commented
            Editing a comment
            IowaGirl I agree. Sometimes if I've done a dry brine for a few days the meat will get too dry on the outside to hold the rub. In that case you can pretty much use anything, oil, water, mayonnaise, mustard to hold it on. Plus yellow mustard is mainly water, vinegar and ground mustard seed and IMO imparts little to no flavor to the meat.....to me that's just another cost I don' t need so water works awesome and it's pretty cheap and I always have it on hand.

Salt, pepper, whatever spices sound good, adjust to taste, take a few notes, repeat if delicious.

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Exactly what I was going to say. More and more I'm going back to good old dalmatian rub on my meats. I want the meat to shine through, not about of sweet this or that. Same goes for sauces.

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            Troutman especially good beef. It's so expensive why cover it up with a bunch of other flavors. Pork, on the other hand, benefits a bit with a little complexity. In my opinion, of course.

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree on the pork side, it definitely benefits from sugar. But if I had to give up that sugar, would you really taste the difference in say 8# of pulled pork? Not likely.

Per the recipe on the free site, I did a tri-tip over the weekend seasoned with salt (dry brined), pepper, garlic, and paprika (I also added a little onion powder) and it came out great.

Comment

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            That's how we do it on the Left Coast. Well, maybe not the paprika, but that's a nice touch.
            Last edited by CaptainMike; September 24, 2019, 09:54 AM.

• Dadof3Illinois
            Dadof3Illinois commented
            Editing a comment
            My tri tips get a good dose of Montreal Steak seasoning. Try giving it a good dusting of Parmesan Cheese as soon as you take it off the grill and let that melt in a little....it gives it a nice little pop of flavor.

• IowaGirl
            IowaGirl commented
            Editing a comment
            Mmmm ... parmesan on tri tip ... that sounds real tasty, Dadof3Illinois.

I have a base run with equal parts of black pepper, paprika, granulated garlic and granulated onion. I dry brine my meat and simply add different spices to pitch it in a different direction. For ribs I simply add an equal part of brown sugar with the rub along with some mustard powder and celery seed.

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            I got excited about celery seed and the claim that it increases the smoke ring. Not sure about that but I did find that a little goes a loooonnng way. I put too much on my last brisket and it was like biting into a stalk of celery in every bite. Pretty off putting for sure.

I use several store bought rubs that are sugar free:

1. Bad Byron's Butt Rub

This is savory and a little spicy, but not so much that my daughters, who are not into ANYTHING spicy, won't eat food prepared with it. I use it on butts, ribs, chicken wings, and grilled veggies (toss the veggies in olive oil then sprinkle the rub on).

2. Montreal Steak

I use this on steak and brisket, and even on burgers.

3. Lawry's Chicken and Poultry Rub

This is my favorite store bought rub for chicken. I use it any time I am grilling or smoking chicken (but I like the spiciness of Butt Rub on wings).

I have several big quart mason jars I store MMD, Meathead 's Rendezvous spice recipe in, and Mrs. O'Leary's Cow Crust. But when I am out of those, or just lazy, I use the 3 commercial mixes above, which I always have in the pantry.

In fact, that brings me to great rubs from the free side of this site that I've made that are sugar free:

4. Mrs. O'Leary's Cow Crust
          5. Meathead's take on the Rendezvous Memphis Dry Rub

Both of those are available here:

Dry rubs are a mix of spices and dried herbs and they are rubbed into the meat before cooking. They come in a wide range of flavors. The art is creating a blend of harmonious flavors that will complement the meat or veggie. The science is knowing how they will change when subjected to heat.

All of this said, I think Meathead 's advice in the recipe for the MMD rub is solid. There is SO LITTLE sugar per serving in what remains of the rub after cooking, that it is really negligible.

EDIT: Also, if you use commercial rubs, it is best to skip dry brining, as most of them have salt as the largest component. I just dry brine with the rub in those cases.
          Last edited by jfmorris; September 24, 2019, 09:29 AM.

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Yea MMD without the sugar would be a good option.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here