Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tatonka Dust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tatonka Dust

For those interested Tatonka Dust is now available again. Here's a link: http://www.owensbbq.com/tatonka-dust--buffalo-wing.html

Nothing against these guys, may be good stuff. I'm sure Spinaker will buy a gallon of it alone. But....the ingredients are the same old thing. Lots of salt, 3 different sugars (the clumping warning), MSG and the usual spices. Again not knocking it, but it's like the same old thing over and over.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      So, just to be clear... it's the same thing, except for that kooky one ingredient, which is weird and of dubious benefit...

I know some folks swear by this stuff... I've never really wanted to eat charcoal, so I've stayed away.

• gcdmd
      gcdmd commented
      Editing a comment
      Activated charcoal is an old treatment for intestinal gas.

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      Leeches are an old treatment for many maladies, but I'm not lining up to get bled. ;-)

Never heard of this but anything that comes with that many disclaimers or suggestions of how to "keep it good" makes me a little skeptical

Comment

Point of clarification, I haven't ever tried this rub. I make my own rubs 99% of the time. They stopped making it due to not be able to obtain one of the ingredients they needed. This is a reformulated version, but I''m still excited to try it. Has a lot of rave reviews in past and that's the reason for the post. In case there was anybody else out there that had used it in the past, or was in the same boat as me. I'm especially interested because of all the umami generating ingredients. Tamarind, soy powder, worcestershire powder, etc. I've also never used a rub with charcoal. I ordered some and will post a review once I try it.

Comment

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        Go easy on the activated charcoal. I added some of this to some MMD just to see what it would do for darkening the appearance, and it leaves a bit of a chalky feeling in your mouth if you overdo it.

• Craigar
        Craigar commented
        Editing a comment
        Steve R. You can always polish your teeth with activated charcoal powder. My wife has a little tin of it that she has used in the past to polish her teeth. Crazy woman...but I digress. Maybe I should swipe her charcoal, make a rub and then replace the charcoal I used with the rub. I am sure it would taste a whole lot better.

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        Craigar that is why my Grandmother would always tell us to eat the toast we burned. "The char will whiten your teeth."

This is why I make most of my own rubs. The wheat makes it a non-starter for me. I have 3 gluten intolerant/celiac members of the family. Safer not to have it on the shelf, than to try to remember what not to use when they are going to be eating here. Also why reading ingredient labels is a common activity in our family. My son, whose wife is the gluten intolerant one, used to stock shelves at several groceries, and he would read labels as he stocked. He was frustrated by the things that had wheat for no real reason.
      Last edited by Bogy; August 21, 2019, 01:24 PM.

Comment

• gcdmd
        gcdmd commented
        Editing a comment
        Probably as a filler, but there may be a more subtle reason relating to food processing. I have always been intrigued by the gluten-free disclaimer on some soy sauce bottle. So, maybe wheat is used in processing for reasons I've not heard or read of.

• Bogy
        Bogy commented
        Editing a comment
        gcdmd we have gluten free soy sauce in our cupboard, and I can guarantee you that if it did actually contain gluten, my daughter would soon let us know. She's the real celiac. Virtually every Campbell's soup has gluten, which I have always assumed they were using as a binder or thickening agent. That's one that used to always gripe him. It certainly is possible to make soup without gluten, and not just broth. It is evidently easier or cheaper to do it with gluten.

I’ve seen this reviewed online seems the only thing it really adds to commonly available rubs is a very dark color. Why? Don’t need it, don’t want it. Won’t bother.

Comment

I'll pass on the buffalo dust. I prefer armadillo droppings. https://armadillo-candy-company.mysh...illo-droppings Amazing what those little buggers leave behind.

Comment

Hey, given the activated charcoal, maybe Tatonka dust is the solution for everyone who wants a bigger smoke flavor from their pellet grill.

Comment

• Bogy
            Bogy commented
            Editing a comment
            Do you mix it in with the pellets or sprinkle it on the diffuser plate?

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            Maybe just rub on your gums before eating... ;-)

• mountainsmoker
            mountainsmoker commented
            Editing a comment
            Charcoal doesn't taste very good.

Finally got around to trying this. Used it on a steak Thursday and pork chop last night. This is my favorite rub! Frickin delicious. I will definitely be buying more in the future. This says a lot, because I don't buy rubs, I always make my own.

Comment

Looks great! I’m in!!!

I friggin love MSG! I put that s&$@ in everything. We make charcoal activated pasta through an extruder. Potkettleblack I put MSG on my GMO leeches, still have plenty of hot air though😃

Troutman cMon, worstashire, soy and tamarind. MsG and sugar?? Was some one in my head. I guess I don’t buy many rubs to realize that’s a common ingredient.

Geeze i I need to get out more.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr ROK View Post
              Finally got around to trying this. Used it on a steak Thursday and pork chop last night. This is my favorite rub! Frickin delicious. I will definitely be buying more in the future. This says a lot, because I don't buy rubs, I always make my own.
              Thanks for the update, Dr ROK ; I was curious to see how you liked it. Your ringing endorsement has me clicking the link you provided. I'm always ready for a new taste experience.

BTW, Jess Pryles of Hard Core Carnivore puts activated charcoal in her HCC Black rub. I was gifted two of her rubs, the black and the red. I tried both, but they were so salty that they nearly ruined a couple racks of ribs. I have a very high salt tolerance--I'm always asking hubby to put a salt lick out in the yard for me --but this one was over my tolerance mark. Had I known, I could have used less, but using less rub means that fewer of the other flavorful ingredients get to have a say in the final result. Honestly, that's why I like making my own rubs.

That said, I'm going to give the Tatonka Dust a try. Thanks, Dr ROK.

Kathryn
              Last edited by fzxdoc; September 22, 2019, 06:40 AM.

Comment

I am curious as how to Tatonka Dust compares to Willingham's W'ham seasoning, taste wise. Willingham's will clump up too due the worchestershire powder, so I understand the tip they are talking about to help guard against clumping.
                Last edited by Craigar; September 22, 2019, 10:10 AM.

Comment

• Dr ROK
                  Dr ROK commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Haven't tried Willingham's so I can't be of much help there.

I am a fan of this stuff. Beastly on brisket. I would not say that it is something you eat and you go, "WOW!!!! How do they do it!?" That being said, it does find its way onto my steaks and briskets, from time to time.

Comment

• Craigar
                  Craigar commented
                  Editing a comment
                  So do tell? I have found through a few cooking experiments the Willingham's W'ham is better for a finishing rub. The ummami gets lost in the initial cook, in my experiences. BUT, once you pull the meat off of the grill/smoker and give it a sprinkle it really shines.

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I love throwing it fresh sliced ribeye. WE always just cut it up no the board and have a free for all. Tons of fun.@Craigar

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here