Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Badia spices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Badia spices

I first saw these spices in the Hispanic section section at a local grocery, but they have moved to the spice section, and the variety has greatly increased. Most are half the price of the brands I am familiar with, and some are even less.

I have tried several and can't tell the difference from the pricier brands. Is anyone familiar with them?

We use them all the time and can’t see any difference except the lower price. And we usually find them in larger sizes.

Comment

I have some on hand right now. I think they are great. No issues here.

Comment

Not that brand but we've started buying our spices from the International section of the grocery store too.
        Donw nailed it, at least half the price and double the spice in most cases with no appreciable loss in quality.

Comment

That’s my hometown brand! Made in Doral (a city in Miami-dade county) only a few miles from my house. Needless to say, that brand is EVERYWHERE here, and accounts for most of the clutter in my spice cabinet. I like that they sell large containers of garlic and onion powder, and ground cumin. Not those little farty containers but by the pound. On an unrelated note, guess which spices feature prominently in Cuban food....

Comment

• smokin fool
            smokin fool commented
            Editing a comment
            Alspice????
            or is it five spice

• SmokeyGator
            SmokeyGator commented
            Editing a comment
            smokin fool the stuff they sell in the extra large containers

At first I was thinking "how did he just now find Badia spices??" They have been in every grocery store, with nearly their own isle, my whole life. After seeing SmokeyGator 's post, it makes more sense now. Must be a Florida/regional thing. For the price, I can't tell any difference in quality, so I definitely recommend!

Comment

• johnec00
            johnec00 commented
            Editing a comment
            If you're looking for more obscure spices, try an ethnic grocery like Seabra. They have a huge selection of Badia spices. You can find out what Badia offers (and order) on their web site.

• Murdy
            Murdy commented
            Editing a comment
            Outside of ordering online, when I need an truly esoteric spice, I've had the best luck at Fresh Market. While they are quite pricey, they have some things you can't find anywhere else.

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Agreed, Murdy . And the nice thing about the Fresh Market spices is that they're sold in small enough amounts that they don't languish in your spice tray for years. But Badia is also nice for the ingredients that I use a lot of for rubs.

K.

I first learned about Badia seasonings when visiting Belize. We went fishing just outside the reef one day and cooked our fish later that night using seasonings suggested by the local guys. They used Badia's "Complete Seasoning" blend and also sprinkled the fish with dried coconut milk powder. I followed the "when in Rome..." philosophy and it turned out pretty good.

Of course, it's hard to not like super-fresh fish eaten al fresco with bare toes in warm coral sand, good friends and family to talk to, and a perfect moon overhead.

Complete Seasoning: https://badiaspices.com/product/comp...oning-1212-oz/
          Last edited by IowaGirl; August 15, 2019, 08:22 AM.

Comment

• Bkhuna
            Bkhuna commented
            Editing a comment
            Their Complete is good stuff. We keep it and a couple their Adobo's in our kitchen. They have a whole bunch of blends, but I don't see them in stores around where I live.

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Sounds like a delightful vacay.

K.

• IowaGirl
            IowaGirl commented
            Editing a comment
            Imagine my surprise when I also found Badia spices in my local grocery store -- no traveling to Belize to find them. But you're right, @Bkuna -- the local stores carry only a few of the blends. The "Complete" blend is handy.

We've been to Belize several times. Friends from Minnesota have retired there and become permanent residents. We have always enjoyed our visits, especially since our friends introduce us to the local life, rather than having to visit the place as utter tourists.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here