Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jalapeno Pepper Powder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jalapeno Pepper Powder?

MH's Memphis Dust for pork ribs is great; however, I’m considering adding Jalapeno Pepper Powder to it to add some slight heat and an additional flavor. Anyone have similar experience/suggestions with Jalapeno Powder to share?

I picked up a pineapple / jalapeño powder rub a while back that was pretty darned tasty on ribs... the color wasn’t the beautiful mahogany you usually get because there was no brown sugar in the stuff, but the yum factor was there.

I think jalapeño powder added to the Memphis dust would be very good also. Might take some experimenting to get the right amount of kick in it without overwhelming the flavor, but that kind of experiment is where great new ideas come from. 😃🙌

Comment

Do it! I bet it would be good. I find that smoke and heat will diminish the heat a little bit so you can be more liberal with your application.

I have never used Jalapeño powder, but I do use Carolina Reaper powder and I love it! Great way to add heat!

Comment

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        Hmmmm. I wonder where you got that stuff from....

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Some clown out in NY. 🤷🏼‍♂️ Steve B

Bet that would be great if you love heat. I do, but my family would complain.

Comment

• mstruth
        mstruth commented
        Editing a comment
        Same issue with my wife. I figure two rib racks will give me an opportunity to easily experiment with a "his" and "her" dust. BTW your profile meme is great - made me actually chuckle.

And now I need to go to my local farmers market. I know they have a lot of different pepper powders there. I use hatch chili powder instead of normal chili powder in my rubs. Lets us know how it goes. I love adding extra spice, my wings get The Last Dab Reduxx made with pepper x and chocolate pepper x, but my wife will take them plain lol.

Comment

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        cut pepper in half, lay on screen, and insert in your smoker with wood of your choice at lowest possible setting. I usually do it overnight. Then in the morning, move to dehydrator and dehydrate the beejesus out of it. Put in spice grinder, TAKE OUTSIDE, and pulverize to the grind consistency you want.

• AverageJoe
        AverageJoe commented
        Editing a comment
        Hmmmmm only smoker I have that I can really control temps is Fred, but I have never tried to see how low I can keep the temps.

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        AverageJoe , if yer takin powdered spice, an wantin to smoke it, I'd likely use a smoken tube, or summat...if fresh scorps, than proceed with tryin to git yer smoker really low, an slow...holler, if questions, Brother!
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; July 17, 2019, 06:20 PM. Reason: e

I use scorpion chili powder in mine. Not to make it super-hot, but because it takes such a small amount that it doesn't change the flavor... plus I can make it super-hot if I want. I bet jalapeno powder would be good though.

Comment

beat you to it. I replace the cayenne with home made jalapeno pepper powder, among other various changes to make my BEV0 Bark rub. It all started as BBBR...

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Well Hook ‘Em BEVO

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          You mean gig em', Right?! Troutman

Here is where I get my herb's and spices. They don't have pure Jalapeno but they do have Chipotle which is the dried smoked version. https://www.penzeys.com/search/#?q=hot%20peppers It is really nice.

Comment

I also am looking to add something to MMD. Thanks for bringing this up.

Comment

Lots of options beyond jalapeños.

Spicy dried chiles light up Mexican, Chinese & Middle Eastern dishes. Browse The Spice House's collections & try some new spices today!

Comment

Great idea, I'm growing weary of cayenne and cumin in my rub.
              Adding this would be a great way to wake things up.
              Now to try and find it up here in the sticks.

Comment

• smokin fool
                smokin fool commented
                Editing a comment
                Took a look, no Spice House unless your looking for Indian food.
                There's a House of Spice downtown in the Kensington Market area.
                Nothing listed out here in the burbs, I'll find something may take some time though. Thanks.

• mountainsmoker
                mountainsmoker commented
                Editing a comment
                Here is another one trying for you guy. http://peppertreespice.com/ They are in London and Port Stanley which if I recall are not to far from Toronto. http://peppertreespice.com/

• smokin fool
                smokin fool commented
                Editing a comment
                London's an hour and a half west of me, don't get that way that often anymore since I stopped driving for MolsonCoors.
                There's a Whole Foods nearby may be my best bet, my spinning instructor at the gym is into cooking, she'll have a few ideas for me.

I’ve added Jalapeño powder before I’ve dusted the ribs with Memphis Rub. That way I can keep the Rib rub as is and only spice up a single rack if I want to.

I’ve also hit a chuckie with Horseradish powder before adding BBBR. Gave it a nice little kick.

Comment

• mstruth
                mstruth commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks. Adding it directly to the rack, rather than the rub, is likely a better tactic.

Results were mixed. Added the powder directly to one rack (thanks @ssandy_561). It added some heat, but not the Jalapeño flavor. Nothing ventured; nothing gained.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by mstruth; July 23, 2019, 07:22 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here