Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry Brine and Injecting - salt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry Brine and Injecting - salt?

Hi, I’m injecting a butt for the first time. I normally just dry brine at 1/2tsp Morton’s Koser/lb per the site. The pork injection on the site includes salt. Should I omit the salt from the injection, omit dry brining, or inject with salt and dry brine? Final step is Memphis dust.

Advice appreciated.

Dry brine or inject not both I would say.. might get too salty if ya do both.

Comment

• Ahumadora
      Ahumadora commented
      Editing a comment
      +1

I do both, and I'm fine. Dry bribing can't get all the way to the center of a big butt (and I can not lie...)

Comment

I don't do either, don't seem to get many complaints and the meat disappears of the platter.
      A subject that can be debated forever.

Comment

No, no, don't do either. Pork butts don't need a brine. See my post Smoking pork the NC way. NC is the home of pulled pork and it started there. Even they can't decide between Eastern and Western so I did a write up on both. Smoking Pork the NC Way and Part 2.

If you want to do a pork loin that has no fat fine.

Well goodl luck on your future smokes.
        Last edited by mountainsmoker; June 21, 2019, 11:34 PM.

Comment

I dry brine at least two to three days. I injected the last one the night before and it was alright. The worst pork I ever had was injected with up to 15% solution, so I didn't add any salt and it was the blandest pork I've ever eaten. I figure the injector might have gotten 2%, if it was lucky. The brine tank must have been almost empty.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            mountainsmoker my problem was NO salt. Hence the reason I dry brine all butts and briskets 48-72 hrs. Those "up to" injections are telling what the max could be, when all along it could be 0.1%....I know, I check these things at work.

• mountainsmoker
            mountainsmoker commented
            Editing a comment
            Your over brining them butts don't need any and briskets need at most 24 hours. It is a thin piece of meat generally. .Just put a little more on the point end.
            Last edited by mountainsmoker; June 22, 2019, 10:33 PM.

• Jerod Broussard
            Editing a comment
            mountainsmoker. Dry brining starts with a measured amount, the salt does not multiply with time, only diffuses and does its thing. Hence the reason I can go three days and feed hundreds for a fundraiser, then have to explain I don't cook for a living. I gots a job.

Really cool to see two experienced guys (Jerod and Mountainsmoker) with the different views. Well, I’m a rookie and messed this butt up. I injected using slightly more salt than the injection on the site. Did not dry brine. Memphis Dust. Then I did the Myron Mixon braise because I wanted to try it. The flavors didn’t pop at all. Full disclosure, I didn’t glaze after the braise. I simply cannot eat that much sugar and corn syrup on my food which, if I had followed the recipe I’m sure I would have had candy on the outside. So expectedly I got a lame bark, with flavors that didn’t pop. Back to full Meathead treatment. Thanks for all the comments!

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Editing a comment
            The variety in BBQ just follows taste buds and those (me) who LOVE salt.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here