Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork loin "au jus"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork loin "au jus"

I wanted to do pulled pork for graduation party in a couple months but the girl friend thinks loins will be better and you know how that conversation went. We are going to be doing a bunch of pork loins (7-8). I'm looking for a suggestion on what to use for a type of au jus to let the pork set in after slicing to help keep it from drying out. I intend on cutting as needed but will want a couple cut up for the initial rush. I normally only do a loin or 2 at a time and realize there will be quite a bit of juice from them but feel like I will need more. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

A minor quibble--it's the school marm in me. You want "jus", not "au jus". Jus is juice, "Au jus" is a term used to convey "with jus", "accompanied by jus", or maybe "a la jus". Hence, we speak of a roast beef sandwich au jus, but we don't say "pour some au jus on that beef sandwich".

Comment

• Willy
      Willy commented
      Editing a comment
      NapMaster : The altitude? Went right over my head.
      Last edited by Willy; March 29, 2019, 09:27 AM.

• Nate
      Nate commented
      Editing a comment
      Willy : you didn’t tag NapMaster properly to where it would notify him. By attaching a colon to his name the system didn’t recognize you were attempting to tag him. If you type the @Name, put a space, then use punctuation it will tag properly and you will still get your punctuation point across. Just trying to help.
      Last edited by Nate; March 29, 2019, 06:29 AM.

• Willy
      Willy commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Nate . I've made that same mistake before. I may be dumb, but I am slow.

I don't have anything to add to the grammar lesson, but I would suggest keeping the unsliced loins in foil pans that will contain the juices, and keep it covered with foil. I think as long as you are cooking them to about 145 or so, there should be plenty of juice for this.

Comment

And, it seems I get a better build up of juice from a full loin if I wrap it and place it in faux cambro for a bit. Open carefully in a pan to catch everything that's been built up.

And have fun at that party!

Comment

Originally posted by Willy View Post
        A minor quibble--it's the school marm in me. You want "jus", not "au jus". Jus is juice, "Au jus" is a term used to convey "with jus", "accompanied by jus", or maybe "a la jus". Hence, we speak of a roast beef sandwich au jus, but we don't say "pour some au jus on that beef sandwich".
        A minor quibble--it’s the schoolmarm in me. You want "schoolmarm", not "school marm". Marm alone is a polite term of address for a lady. I am guessing by your profile name you are not a lady. Schoolmarm mostly lists a first definition of a female teacher but a second definition (that i assume you are going for) of a person who exhibits characteristics of an old time schoolteacher. I hope I don’t come across as smarmy. I was just trying to help.

*ring ring ring* school bell 🔔 ... grammar school is out.... now we can get back to bbq....

MattyV , how are you seasoning your loins? In the past I have used my pork butt rub on loins with great results that folks could put a slice on a bun or just eat it as a hunk of meat. I have used my saved juice from a pork butt as a jus for this without any problems.

If you have the room and time you could do a pork butt with the loins or a day or two before and have the jus from it. This will also give you a backup meat in case you run out of loin.

Sounds like it is going to be a fun cook. Have fun and enjoy!

Comment

• MattyV
          MattyV commented
          Editing a comment
          I like that idea. Was just talking about doing some pork butts for pulled pork to put in the freezer. We like to bag up smaller amounts to be able to thaw out quick when we do pizzas or nachos. Thanks!

Click image for larger version  Name:	39AFC333-11C4-4483-AAC5-79D8BE13BFAC.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.16 MB ID:	656888Click image for larger version  Name:	473864AF-91E8-4B28-8D97-ADFA599D5582.jpeg Views:	3 Size:	4.43 MB ID:	656886Click image for larger version  Name:	D454C20D-CE7E-4D94-9F37-E8AFAFFD0129.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.28 MB ID:	656887 We really enjoy this one. As you see it comes out pretty juicy.

Click image for larger version  Name:	6D079CE2-A819-490A-8EFE-33944D859EE3.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	1.75 MB ID:	656885

Comment

• Nate
          Nate commented
          Editing a comment
          that looks delicious!

• MattyV
          MattyV commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks great!

I have done a mixture of rendered lard and apple juice.. 90 percent apple juice and 10 percent rendered lard heat together.. dip the slices then put on sandwich.. got good reviews when I did it if this helps..

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here