Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Memphis Dust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So it is about time I try the Memphis Dust recipe rather than a store bought rub. Going to do a PB this weekend. I can find the ingredients but most are in granulated form and not powder (i.e. garlic, onion, rosemary). Should I just grind the granulated into powder? Also, wasn't there a mention of a dash of cumin that people liked somewhere here in the forum?

Thanks,
    Daniel

Comment

• martybartram
      martybartram commented
      Editing a comment
      Spices Inc has it for a great price, like $6 a pound. I used chopped rosemary the first batch, doubled the amount called for. The second batch I had received the powder and it was much easier to use and so fragrant.

• Northside Brian
      Northside Brian commented
      Editing a comment
      When I have to use granulated ingredients instead of powdered, I either use a mortar and pestle or mix them up in a coffee grinder. Yes, I add a TBSP of cumin and it really brings out the umami flavor

dpsphotos try it as is, make a small batch. Then start tweaking, one ingredient at a time. I add a dash of freshly roasted then ground cumin and mace.

Comment

Ernest thanks for the tips. I'll make it straight up as is and go from there. I'll use a coffee grinder to turn my granulated spices into powders. BTW, one of the best things about the Pit has got to be reading you and DWCowles banter back and forth. Some good comedy at times.

Comment

• DWCowles
        DWCowles commented
        Editing a comment
        dpsphotos it's all in fun 😊

I know regarding garlic and onion powders, usually it's granulated. Fine fine powder packs more punch because more is concentrated into the teaspoons and so on. Food for thought.

Comment

I havent dug the old MD out for a while. Maybe on my next cook

Comment

Has anyone tried MD on chicken? If so, any thoughts on adding a lemony-type spice like sumac to it?

Comment

• martybartram
            martybartram commented
            Editing a comment
            I put it on wings and drummies, love it. I cannot comment on sumac...my familiarity with that is limited to poison sumac :/

I like the MMD on pulled pork. I may be about to commit blasphemy here, but, I don't care that much for it on ribs. I find it a bit sweet tasting on ribs. I prefer my own Memphis dry rub. There, I said it! Please don't kick me out of the Pit!
          I might try the coffee grounds thing...

Comment

• RonB
            RonB commented
            Editing a comment
            DWCowles - try being honest when your wife asks you if this dress makes her look fat...

• DWCowles
            DWCowles commented
            Editing a comment
            If it makes her look fat I will tell her...if she didn't want to know she shouldn't have ask RonB

• Breadhead
            Breadhead commented
            Editing a comment
            RonB ... Women sometimes ask a question like that, expecting you to lie trough your teeth.😬

You look fantastic in that dress is your only real option.😆

Memphis Dust is the best rub I've ever tried!👍 I even use it on my popcorn.😛

Comment

Like pork, poultry likes sweetness. I've used MMD on chicken with excellent results ... and on duck with even better results (wipes drool from chin and keyboard) ...

Comment

• martybartram
              martybartram commented
              Editing a comment
              When I read MMD and duck in the same sentence I started drooling!

• Breadhead
              Breadhead commented
              Editing a comment
              +1^ on MMD on chicken. I've never cooked a duck.☹️

I will have to try the chicken thing. There is such a thing as too much sweetness. It's all down to personal taste.

Comment

I put MMD on chicken last night

Comment

I'm a raw beginner at smoking. Using a propane smoker. Tried the Memphis Dust on some ribs and they tasted too sweet. Might have mixed it wrong. What's the best way to compensate for too much sugar in the mix?

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                  Potkettleblack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Add more of everything else? Or increase the salt you are using in your dry brine.

• fuzzydaddy
                  fuzzydaddy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Welcome becker71. We'd love to get an intro from you over in the Introduce Yourself channel when you get a minute. Thanks!

• Northside Brian
                  Northside Brian commented
                  Editing a comment
                  becker71, make another batch with no sugar and add it to the original batch you made. Try it and if it isnt sweet enough you can just add a small amount of sugar.

Originally posted by becker71 View Post
                I'm a raw beginner at smoking. Using a propane smoker. Tried the Memphis Dust on some ribs and they tasted too sweet. Might have mixed it wrong. What's the best way to compensate for too much sugar in the mix?
                If you're trying to adjust an existing batch of MMD to be less sweet, about your only option would be to add (in proper proportions) every MMD ingredient except sugar to it. That would reduce the overall proportion of sugar and cut down the sweetness. It would be very much a trial and error process until you get it to your liking.

Comment

The Spice House offers an esspreso powder that I use. They also make a blend called Sunny oxaca coffe rub.

Comment

I have added 4 different chile powders to MMD and it gives a nice warm finish

Comment

• JPGators17
                      JPGators17 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      What chili powders do you add? I love MD, but I have been trying to think of the right spice addition that will cut the sweet with some minor bite, or bold hint. I hadn't thought much about chili, but that could be a nice compliment.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here