Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marinade suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marinade suggestions

Hey all. I fully understand that marinades do not penetrate. However, I want to do some beef kebobs and am looking to do something different than just a rub. I appreciate any suggestions be it homemade or store bought.

Beef marinade is pretty simple - Soy (minimal if you dry-brined), plenty of black pepper, lime juice, Worcestershire and a bit of sugar. That alone will get you there. From there, the sky is the limit. Small quantities of: Garlic powder (or 2 cloves of minced), onion powder (or mince the white part of a scallion), cumin powder, anchovy paste (I'm not joking), hot sauce/red pepper flakes/cayenne.

Comment

Bbq sauce and italian dressing. I put that on some cubed up hind quarter from a wild pig, amazzizin!

Also works on beef, sheep and deer and chicken. Not sure about woolly mammoth.

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        How about Woody's and Italian dressing ???

• DreamOn
        DreamOn commented
        Editing a comment
        Italian dressing is my go to chicken marinade. Beef I use soy based. 😋

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        That is the way I make chicken.

I don't marinade quite as often as I used to, but it's more of a trend in what cuts I'm cookin, vs a change in process, or procedure...

My basic, ol standby beef marinade consists of equal parts:

Strong black coffee
      Guinness Extra Stout
      Worcestershire sauce
      Soy sauce
      Zesty Italian dressing

From there, I'll add such seasonins as might suit th character/desired flavour profile of th dish I'm preppin th protein fer...

At a minimum/most often, I'll grind in some Montreal...
      Sometimes, cayenne, or other peppers are sprinkled in, as well...

I'll put it in a casserole dish*, or summat, fer a few days, flip when I git up, when I git home, when I go to bed, at a minimum.

I often also poke th meat some with a fork, to allow some ingress, however minimal.

*Covered in cling wrap, th whole time. (Th casserole dish, not me.

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        It also serves to keep you awake and get you drunk at the same time !!! Whopppie !!!

As always, thanks fellas! Going with a combo of BBQ sauce, Italian dressing, worchester and rosemary.

Comment

Sounds like a winner to me !!! Throw in a squeeze of fresh lemon for a hint of citrus !! The acid will help break down your connective tissue as well.

Comment

• jlazar
          jlazar commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice Avatar.

If marinades are a waste of time, does basting the cooking meat with the marinade achieve the same results?

Comment

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          Depends on the marinade and how much basting you're doing.
          A ten minute marinade will be sufficient for a lot of things, but basting might hurt crust due to added moisture. Might not, if you only baste once.

Adam Perry Lang's Charred and Scruffed has a discussion on basting while live fire cooking to build flavor that's worth checking out if the book is ever on sale (I think I got it for $1.99 on my Kindle).

#1: teriyaki/ per 2 lbs of beef
        1/4 c soy sauce
        1/4 c veggie oil
        2 Tb molasses
        2 tsp dry ginger
        2 tsp mustard powder
        6 cloves minced garlic

Comment

• DreamOn
          DreamOn commented
          Editing a comment
          1 bunch basil/ torn up
          1/3 c soy sauce
          1/3 c olive oil
          1 clove minced garlic
          3/8 tsp salt and pepper
          (I use this one served with grilled pineapple)

I love this marinade for beef (I usually will marinade a London Broil with it)

1 can frozen concentrated Limeade
        1 can Teriyaki sauce (Just fill the Limeade can when you empty it out)
        A bunch minced of garlic
        A bunch of freshly ground Black Pepper

So simple, so delicious

Comment

• Hulagn1971
          Hulagn1971 commented
          Editing a comment
          I am definitely going to try this one out!

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...-better-kebabs

The spiedie marinade is absolutely lit, and I just made it with some off the shelf Italian dressing.

For a slightly different direction, there's this type of thing... red wine, garlic, strong herbs.
        https://www.piedmontese.com/RecipeDe...ubs+%26+Sauces

For a third direction, something like this:
        https://williamsonwines.com/recipe/g...ey-umami-sauce
        You pump umami with umami rich stuff. I throw together some olive oil, with any combination of:
        balsamic
        soy/tamari
        fish sauce
        concentrated tomato paste
        porcini powder
        sherry vinegar
        worchester sauce

garlic
        onion
        rosemary, oregano, thyme, lemongrass, ginger, pepper flakes, hot sauce,

And take that anywhere from Spain to Italy to Thailand to Macau to Casa PKB. The underlined stuff is the umami boosters. You could throw some pureed anchovies in there, or some vegemite (I won't yuck your yum, but it's not for me), and then add things to build out other dimensions of flavor.

If I'm completely honest, I find marinade recipes to be a bit more like concepts rather than complete processes. Think of it as a template and think where you want to go. So, Thailand would be Tamari, Fish sauce, Sherry Vinegar, garlic, onion, ginger, lemongrass, sugar, hot sauce, hot pepper flakes, with a lot of flakes. Macau would dump the hot sauce and the lemongrass, add the tomato paste, increase ginger, and maybe add a curry spice, like corriander or maybe nutmeg. And so on.

The idea is that you take things you like and figure how to make it work. You want a fat, an acid, some herbs and spices, and maybe something to pump umami. And figure on the salt, whether you a dry brining or want the salt in the marinade.

Comment

This is originally my god parent's tri tip marinade - based on the tri tip at Sattui Winery

Tri-Tip Marinade (Original)

1/2 Cup Cabernet
          1/3 Cup Sugar
          1/4 Cup Soy Sauce
          2 Cloves Ginger (or 1/4 Teaspoon ground ginger)
          2 Cloves Garlic (or 1 Teaspoon minced)

Mix all. Marinate steak. Grill Steak. Put remaining marinade into a small
          saucepan and reduce. Serve over steak.

I also really like it on venison roasts in the slow cooker.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here