Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Defrosting / Salting Beef

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Defrosting / Salting Beef

Hi there, I'm looking for some advice.

Last week I bought an 8 pound chunk of Irish rib-eye... I cut it into fat steaks and wrapped them individually, then froze them.

I want to have one in about 24 hours time... what is the best way to defrost?
    I was told by a chef once that the best way was to let the meat defrost slowly in the fridge for (up to) 2 days.

At what point should I salt them?

My tentative plan is to unwrap the frozen steak, coat it in olive oil, salt it, then put it on a wire rack in the fridge... I would then cook it for dinner about 24 hours later.

Any suggestions or criticism appreciated!

That might be enough time at fridge temp depending on how thick it is. I would sprinkle with salt as soon as the outter layer is soft and press in with a spoon. in this way, as the meat defrosts the salt will sink in.

Comment

Here is Meathead's article on thawing meat. http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...wing_meat.html You should read it. Also, there is no need to oil meat before salting. Oil is used before running with success because many of the flavor compounds are oil soluble and not water soluble, which is not the case with salt.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys...
        Based on your feedback and Meatheads article, I will leave it wrapped overnight in the fridge, then salt it in the morning and leave it uncovered on a rack in the fridge until dinnertime.

Comment

If you are smoking them and they are not too thick, you could throw it on partially frozen. Trickier to get the right doneness though, but if you are making pulled chuck it own't matter.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here