Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Look ma: bourbon powder!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Look ma: bourbon powder!

Well, I was browsing ze Internet yesterday in search of something inspirational, and look what I found: bourbon powder!

Bourbon Powder can be added to cakes, drinks, pies and seasonings. Serious barbecuers use it to add bourbon flavor to rubs and seasonings without the liquid.

Don’t know what I’m gonna do with it yet, but I can see a number of uses. Will get the package early next week.

What do y’all think? I’m gonna try and add it to a rub, but it should work well in a glaze too.

Hmmm... Interesting. I wish there were details on how it's made, what it actually is. The 3 reviews so far are useless on how it tastes. I could see using it in a rub but for sauce or glaze I'd just use the real thing. Might be good in a frothed coffee!

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep, a few more reviews would def be good, as well as a content listing. Either way, it’ll be fun testing, I’ll report back!

Interesting! Keep us posted on what uses you find. Like Huskee I usually use the real thing for like glazes and and in my pit beans but I can certainly see it being used in a rub! I've done that before where I'll find a single ingredient and build a recipe around it. Nice find!

Comment

Maybe you should snort it...

Comment

• Hulagn1971
        Hulagn1971 commented
        Editing a comment
        RonB then it would need a rename, something like Belushi's Blues Brothers Bourbon Powder or Farley's Far out Bourbon Snuff.

I wonder if there are still alcohol molecules in it. If so, surreptitiously licking some off the back of my hand during my kid's overlong piano recital at the piano teacher's house comes to mind...where was it when I needed it.

Kathryn

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Lol!

• SMO
        SMO commented
        Editing a comment
        I totally understand, once calculated how many hours I sat a dance recitals....soooo depressed!

Henrik is now Scarface. Man, i wonder what customs would do if they came across it. Bet you would get a visit pretty quickly, lol. Use it on the rim of a glass with coctails maybe, or like those little Crystal Light packets at a dry restaurant, lol. Just add it to your cola to help deal with the kids.the rub is the biggest application i can think of, that or baked goods.

Comment

Freeze dried bourbon, great for backpacking!

Comment

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          Now thats my kind of roughing it! Gotta stay hydrated!

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          We have friends who own an outdoor store and the Mrs was going on about their new disaster meal bucket and how they have 30 days of food for 4 people, blah, blah, blah. I asked her it the kits came with powdered water and she replied that she wasn't sure but she'd check. She later said her sales rep couldn't answer the question because he was laughing so hard! I'm searching for new friends now....

I am guessing this is a synthetic bourbon powder, or you are evaporating an insane amount of water to get very little powder in a spray dryer. The solids in bourbon can't be more than a few percent, if that.

**After looking at what goes into this, it is a synthetic blend to taste like bourbon. But it would be sweet to add to a rub!

Comment

They have produced powdered alcohol but I believe powdered alcohol is banded in most states here in the US.

Comment

Keurig has found a way around powdering drinks' essences:

https://www.stltoday.com/entertainme...409059cbe.html

This is in ONLY stores in Saint Louis, MO US right now, as a test.

Comment

• JGo37
              JGo37 commented
              Editing a comment
              I like using bourbon flavoring in CI beans when I'm smoking them in the pot. I use somebody's maple bourbon rub in beans, probably Weber's or McCormick's.

• texastweeter
              texastweeter commented
              Editing a comment
              JGo37 i have a McCormic bourbon rub the is pretty bad on ribs. I may try it in beans, but if that doesnt work, you are welcome to it sir.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here