Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Non-spicy rub for chicken wings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non-spicy rub for chicken wings?

I made chicken wings on my WSCGC the other day using the Vortex and PBC All Purpose Rub. I've found that smoking seems to really strengthen the spiciness factor on poultry for some reason, and family thought the wings were a bit spicy.

Is there a more mild commercial rub that people recommend for a little flavor? I like my wings spicy, but I can use sauces for heat (my family is mostly into a honey BBQ type of flavor, while I like them more buffalo wing style).

Thanks in advance!

I’d suggest Meathead’s Memphis Dust (sweet) or his Simon & Garfunkel rub (herby) ... or some of each ... and leave the commercial stuff on the shelf.

Comment

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      +1

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      I was going to suggest S&G, too. So go +2 on your suggestions.

I've been really liking Oak Ridge Secret Weapon on chicken lately. It's got some sugar in it so it has a sweet note but doesn't seem to burn up as you might expect. You might give that a try. Of course there's dozens of others, I'm sure everyone has their favorite.

Comment

Loot N Booty has a chicken rub that is savory. They also make an everything rub I sometimes use with it with no heat.

Comment

Now that you've brought this up I'm going to try a beer-can chicken spice with hot sauce choices on the side.

Comment

Thank you all!

Comment

I like my rib rub on chicken & wings. You can make it saltless and dry brine separately, I make it salted as shown because I know how much rub to add and I use it as the dry brine.

Comment

• tbob4
              tbob4 commented
              Editing a comment
              Would you still add the bit of cayenne for a bit of a bite for a big batch of wings? I am going to try this. Even though he doesn't want them spicy does a pinch help?

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, it will. Especially if you use good cayenne and not the bargain bin $0.99 spices. tbob4

Honestly, when it comes to non-spicy, im a big fan of a simple lemon pepper rub which is pretty easy to make yourself or available commercially pretty much anywhere.

Comment

Here is a chicken rub I have been experimenting with that is my version of the PBC without salt.
              Oregano Flakes 4 teaspoons
              Minced Garlic 1 Teaspoon
              Onion Flakes 3 teaspoons
              Paparika 1 teaspoon
              Thyme 1 teaspoon
              Cayenne 1 teaspoon
              Black Pepper 2 teaspoons
              Turula yeast 1 teaspoon
              You can adjust the cayenne and pepper. It is right on the edge of hot. The turula yeast may not be necessary so don’t sweat it if you don’t have it.

Comment

+1 on lemon pepper. My kids often ask for Badia Complete when I do wings. I like my wings spicier so I’ll often pull a few to the side and add some chili powder to mine.

Comment

You mentioned sauces, and that got me thinking (dangerous, I know). When I use sauces on wings, I tend to just apply salt and pepper initially, so I have a lot of flexibility on which sauce to use.

Comment

I dry-brine and after lightly oiling the wings I hit them with cracked pepper and a bit of paprika. For me, the heat is in the sauce not the rub.

Comment

Traeger Chicken Rub is fantastic on wings if you want no spice.
                      Cosmo Q's Wing Dust Garlic Parmesan is really good too.

Comment

Crispy wings are great with just salt and black pepper.

Comment

I came across a large shaker of McCormicks Montreal Poultry seasoning and I really like it. It would probably work good on pork as well. Kind of a herb/ savory taste. But like Troutman says the Oak Ridge Secret Weapon is a excellent rub.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here