Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PBC All Purepose Rub sans Salt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok that eliminates Rose

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      There is some herb of some sort but I'm just going off of sight not taste.

W Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	569487

Comment

It is hard to compare flavors when the salt is removed. I think it is a little too red. What is a 1/16 of a teaspoon you asked not much but it is less than an 1/8
      you also need to grind it it a mortar and pestal
      Last edited by jecucolo; September 22, 2018, 01:38 PM.

Comment

NOW I haveto watch my aggies play alabama.

Comment

So I made up a larger batch of All Purpose Rub Sans Salt and cooked up some chicken thighs. I dried brined using 1/2 teaspoon per pound. I must say it was dang close to the Pbc All Purpose Salt Rub! Very happy with it! I sure hope some of my pbc friends will try it and let me know what you think. It has a very similar flavor w/o the heavy salt!

Oregano Flakes 4 Tbls
          Minced Garlic 1 1/2 tsp
          Onion Flakes 2 Tbls
          Paprika 2 Tbls
          Thyme flakes 1 1/2 tsp
          Cayenne 1 1/2 tsp
          Black Pepper 1 1/2 tsp

when you mix it up you want to break up the flakes a bit but don’t turn it into powder.
          Last edited by jecucolo; September 26, 2018, 05:42 AM.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Editing a comment
            Thyme- powder or what?

I'm cooking a chicken tomorrow night. This crap better be close cause I was going with a lemon-pepper rub.

Comment

• N227GB
            N227GB commented
            Editing a comment
            LOL no pressure.

Thyme flakes

Comment

Also you want to use a mortar and pestal to mix and grind it a little bit. Don’t turn it into powder though.

Comment

The AP rub also has torula yeast in it which is a major umami component. The beef and game doesn't indicate that it has the yeast. Torula yeast if high in glutamic acid and can be used instead of MSG. Can have a nutty, meaty flavor and the ones I found are hickory smoked. There is also nutritional yeast which seems to have more flavor than torula yeast.

Comment

JimLinebarger I saw that but I didn’t know what it was. I thought it was used as a binder. I will need to order it not sure if you can buy it in a brick and mortar store.
            i think without it the taste is close. I hope Jerod Broussard tries it and let’s me know what he thinks.
            Last edited by jecucolo; September 27, 2018, 06:03 AM.

Comment

Thanks, guys. Now I'm super thirsty just thinking about that AP rub.

Comment

Tonight, I was running a little late last night when I got off. I got it made up. Cleaning a grate right now and got the pellet ready to roll.

Comment

Tis on. Breast skin was already torn. No worry, more seasoning on the muscle.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180927_233058.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	571729Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180927_233259.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	571730

Comment

Not sure how close this stuff is to the All-Purpose, but as Myron Mixon might would say, "this "bleepin'" "bleep" took this "bleepin'" chicken up another "bleepin'" notch!"

To me it has a cajun spice kick to it, I guess the red pepper and thyme really shine. I love the larger particles even though they get worked down a little in the mortar, they still kick plenty.

This would be my go to for chicken without a doubt. The chicken was just over 4 pounds and I ran around 400 on the shelf.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20180928_003016.jpg Views:	1 Size:	188.5 KB ID:	571742

Comment

• jecucolo
                      jecucolo commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks for the comments. It is hard to compare with AP. I am glad you liked it!
                      Last edited by jecucolo; September 28, 2018, 06:44 AM.

Very nice! I’m going to be doing a bunch of thighs on my new pellet pooper this weekend ... dry brined then smoked probably at 350 using MMD on some and S&G on the rest. Out of curiosity, what kind of pellets did you use? For my cook, I’ll be using Grilla Comp Blend ... ‘cause that’s what I have at the moment.

And as I think about it, I might even brine/season a couple with some PBC AP rub, too.

Edit: Just learned that the Grilla Comp Blend is a mix of oak, hickory, and cherry ... no idea what proportions tho’.
                    Last edited by MBMorgan; September 28, 2018, 02:14 AM.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                      Editing a comment
                      I forgot what was in there. Pecan now that I think about it. I need to use it up so I can drop some Mesquite in there on my next brisket cook.

• jecucolo
                      jecucolo commented
                      Editing a comment
                      MBMorgan if you have time I wonder if you could compare the sans salt to pbc ap rub? I would be curious to see what you think?

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here