Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much rub do I need?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much rub do I need?

I hope this post is in the proper channel. I haven't been able to find anything on point anywhere. Our Shrine club will be cooking maybe 45 pork loin roasts in about three weeks. I have found the rub and injection I want to use but the rub is not available locally so I will need enough on hand when we begin the cook. The roasts are approximately 2 pounds apiece and more or less cylindrical - perhaps 6-7" long and 3" diameter. It is hard to describe the amount of rub I used on a test cook of a single roast. It was not a light dusting but neither was it heavy. The best way I can describe it is that there was plenty of rub on the roast but there was meat still showing through. I would describe it as a moderate cover but that is a pretty vague term when discussing rubs but it is about the best I can do. I know I can probably do another test cook and measure the amount (weight) of the rub before I apply it but I am hoping I can avoid that and get some expert advice from those of you who have done larger cooks like this. Thanks to anyone who can give me a rough idea of how much I will need.

That's a really good question, Jerod Broussard and texastweeter do large cooks, perhaps they can weigh in. I would think two or maybe three pounds of rub but that's a guess. If you cook often using the same rub, then order more than you think you need, the rest will be used up I suppose.

Comment

I would estimate about 3.5-4.5 cups. To be more precise, or go by weight; weigh a bottle of rub, season one more test loin, weigh again to get loss, do the math and multiply by 50.
      Last edited by texastweeter; July 22, 2018, 12:42 PM. Reason: math was off

Comment

I've never weighed my batches, just used cups. I make approx. 20 cups at a time for briskets.

Comment

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          BTW I used it on whole brisket again the other day. Great flavor. I LOVE it on chicken though!

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          texastweeter I have version 2.0 on paper ready to go. Little less brown sugar and parika, upped onion, garlic, mustard powder, allspice, lemon pepper, and cayenne. Still the same total amount.

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          Jerod Broussard we should start a rub swap (nohomo). I could send you some of my brisket rub in return for the rub you sent me. Or just swap some recipes.

I have a 1 lb container of Lawry's Seasoned Salt. According to the serving size information on the container that works out to 31.5 tablespoons. 32 tablespoons would be two cups. This will vary for density of different rub ingredients but it should get you a reasonable weight estimate.

Comment

• wu7y
          wu7y commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks also, jerrybell. With @Henrik's info it gives me a good start to get what I need without a major surplus. I appreciate it.

I would say 3 tablespoons per roast, if that helps.

Comment

• wu7y
          wu7y commented
          Editing a comment
          Henrik, Thanks. That at least gives me a place to start. Normally I would just buy more than I think I need and save the rest. Problem with that is that we are doing this for a state-wide organization. They are paying for it and we have a pretty strict budget. Plus anything left over except perishables belongs to them so I wouldn't expect to keep anything but a minor surplus. Thanks again.

I always estimate 1 cup per 15lbs of meat. that is how I came up with the above suggestion

Comment

• wu7y
          wu7y commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks. That helps too. I appreciate the info.

Always plan on not having enough, then you will............have enough. Somebody told me that once, mebbee it was myself, don’t remember.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here