Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rub collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rub collection

Usually I make my own rubs (most of the recipes I get from Amazing Ribs!) but there's usually a "go-to" store bought favorite or two I keep around just in case. However ever since I started following some of my favorite pit-masters on Instagram or in this forum I've been seeing a ton of different rubs that I want to try out which has been piling up and causing quite a collection. It's pretty much getting to the point where it doesn't make sense to make my own anymore because I have plenty store bought to burn through lol. My wife has started to notice. It has not been a bad problem to have. Any body else have this problem? Here are just a couple that are my favorites for brisket. Click image for larger version

Name:	Brisket and rubs.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	249.1 KB
ID:	532649Click image for larger version

Name:	Favorite Rubs.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	156.1 KB
ID:	532645Click image for larger version

Name:	Brisket Rubs.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	532646Click image for larger version

Name:	Brisket rubbed.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	204.0 KB
ID:	532647Click image for larger version

Name:	Holy Gospel BBQ rub.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	532648

I'm actually the other way around. I make my rub, it's my recipe, based on what I like. I don't buy rubs because a) I already have what I love and b) they are 8-% salt and sugar and I can do the rest and c) packaged rubs mean the spices are an indefinite period of time old. so, I just don't. it's me. I'm weird. I'm also a person who finds what I like and rarely changes.

I drink diet coke with Vanilla syrup. or water (when I'm being bad) I don't do brisket cause I prefer corned beef, I do pork butt rather than ribs and I always use the same rub. I'ts just me. and it's the Y. he is not a guy who likes change. he never throws anything away (you can imagine my house) and he definitely isn't one to try new things. He would also pinch a penny until he pulled off Lincoln's beard. He's SO Scottish!

Of course, that's why I learned to cook being raised by a woman who thought the kitchen was utilitarian and not even required when so much food was now available in cans.

so, don't pay attention to my ramblings....

Comment

I also have started to infringe on the kitchen storage with various rubs, tools, timers..... so far no complaints.

Comment

I sometimes purchase store bought, then I create the same problem as you as I usually use my own. Guess I should do that too and use them up, but I like to dry brine and don’t want salt in my rub as well. Guess I will have to over that.

Comment

I lean toward my own for similar reasons as has been stated, most of the commercial rubs are full of salt and sugar. There always seems to be some sort of combination of onion, garlic and paprika with some sort of pepper. I've got all that in my cabinet and can do what they do for the most part.

Now having said that, I've tried several above (Salt Lick, Kosmos Q, Meat Church stuff) and it's all pretty good, certainly won't go wrong with it. I'm also partial to Oak Ridge BBQ Secret Weapon and Black Ops for brisket. Also still use a lot of Tony Chacheres and good old Montreal Steak Seasoning (love the coarse grain).

Guess it's just what mood I'm in that day

Comment

Same here. I've been purging all my spices and rubs so I can start buying fresh. I've pretty much settled on Oak Ridge BBQ blends as my go to purchased blends. Their rubs don't sit on the shelf waiting to be ordered they blend the rub when it's ordered so it's always at it's freshest and that's always important to me.

Other spices I get from The Spice House. I've been making my own rub as of late trying to use up my individual spices.
            Last edited by Frozen Smoke; July 15, 2018, 03:23 PM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              +1 Oak Ridge !!!!!

I love Pit Barrel's All-Purpose Rub for pork butts. About to whip up Trifecta 2.0 for brisket.

Comment

I’m kind of somewhere in the middle. I have a few store bought that I like (killer hogs and famous dave’s) and I use the BBBR and the S&G rubs from here but I still use a lot of ones I’ve either invented or modified. Like others, I like to control the amount of salt in the rub. Right now I’m on a kick of using dried mushrooms in my beef rubs, guves it a deep earthy flavor that goes great with steaks and chuckies.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                Potkettleblack commented
                Editing a comment
                Tell me more about using dried mushrooms... do you turn em to dust in a spice grinder?

• Dadof3Illinois
                Dadof3Illinois commented
                Editing a comment
                Potkettleblack yes I use a spice grinder and make a powder out of them. I also put in garlic powder, beef crystals, red pepper flakes, black pepper corns a pinch of sugar (helps to build a crust) and a little salt. Grind them all up into a powder. Just add what you like and adjust as you want. I really like this rub for thick ribeye steaks and put it on pretty heavy.

• Potkettleblack
                Potkettleblack commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks, Dad.

I'm like Karon Adams, I have a few that I like, depending on what I'm cooking, and don't experiment around too much. All these I mix myself. I have a few commercial rubs that were given to me. I'll use them up but don't feel the need to repurchase them.

Comment

I used to love famous dave’s Rib rub. Haven’t bought it in a while, and just took that rub class, so I have a lot of my own custom rub to work through. I have a spice cabinet that can build nearly anything and a Savory Spice in the neighborhood for anything odd, or some advice.

I do as MH suggests, make his rub to recipe once, and then tweak. MMD does nicely for me with a picante element like Aleppo pepper and a bit of dried lemon peel added, for example.

I do have Williams Sonoma Beer Can Chicken Rub that I like quite a bit. But it has a lot of salt and sugar.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here