Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The First PKB Custom Rub - Kinda

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The First PKB Custom Rub - Kinda

Our local Savory Spice held a course on BBQ Rub building, which was some light theory, then a lot of walking around the store and sampling, and then building a trial batch of the rub based on one of two templates, and then refining into a larger batch. Here's what I came up with:

3.2 Oz kosher salt
    3.2 Oz 16-20 mesh malabar black pepper
    1.5oz Brown sugar, granulated
    1.5oz white sugar
    3.2 Oz Hungarian sweet paprika

.35 Oz Fennel pollen

.6 Oz granulated roasted garlic
    .5 Oz granulated onion

.35 Oz Aleppo pepper

.35 Oz dill weed

.6 Oz minced lemon peel

First, the "brownulated" sugar (which is brown sugar in granulated form) is AMAZING, since it doesn't clump. The recipe template I used was: 1 sugar:1 salt: 1 pepper : 1 paprika : 1 feature blend. So, I followed the MMD suggestion of going for both brown and table, but I like the 1:1:1:1:1 format, as it's lower sugar.

I made my test batch with smoked sweet paprika, and I felt it was kind of musty by the time I got to the garlic. I figured I didn't need the smoky flavor in the rub, since I could smoke it the old fashioned way.

The fennel pollen has that fennel licorice type flavor, just dialed up a bit. And a more convenient delivery, in that it's already powdered.

I have actually flipped this recipe in salt and pepper, as I used fine flake sea salt and fine pepper, but I got the idea from Franklin BBQ to match the pepper to the salt size, so, at home, kosher and 16-20 mesh is how I'd roll.

So, at this point, I had some space to work, and tweak the flavor, so I went with the classic aromatics to round it out a bit, which was the onion and the roasted garlic. It needed some brightness, so I went with the aleppo. I was torn between thai, aleppo and aji amarillo peppers, and decided the aleppos had the right amount of heat and the superior flavor.

tasting there, I felt it needed something herbal. I was thinking chicken, pork and shrimp for the target of this, and went with dill, based on my experience with Raichlen's "Only Marinade You'll Ever Need." I've messed with that marinade a lot, tried it with every soft herb, and concluded that dill just works best, due to the bright sourness.

One more taste, and I felt the need of a bit more brightness. He didn't have an open lime peel, so I went with the lemon, which just opened it up a bit.

So, I have a pound of this, and a few days to grill... Will report on how it works on actual food. Everyone who tasted it at the class was digging it... Anyone have thoughts on applications?

Cool! Am I correct to assume that your measurements are ounces by weight and not volume?

Comment

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      Ounces by weight. I would have done grams, but the scale wouldn't kick over to grams.

• MBMorgan
      MBMorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! FWIW, here it is in grams:

91 g (3.2 Oz) kosher salt
      91 g (3.2 Oz) 16-20 mesh malabar black pepper
      43 g (1.5oz) Brown sugar, granulated
      43 g (1.5oz) white sugar
      91 g (3.2 Oz) Hungarian sweet paprika

10 g (.35 Oz) Fennel pollen

17 g (.6 Oz) granulated roasted garlic
      14 g (.5 Oz) granulated onion

10 g (.35 Oz) Aleppo pepper

10 g (.35) Oz dill weed

17 g (.6 Oz) minced lemon peel

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah. I have ratios at home. Got a nice spreadsheet.
      I have a lot of ideas going from here... go with no salt...

Sounds good

Comment

Ribs!

Comment

I’ve used and really like the fennel pollen, problem is that’s it’s more expensive then saffron. I toasted fennel seed and fine ground it, found it to be a suitable replacement.

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          That's expensive - and I do keep saffron on hand!

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          A pro tip on the saffron, from my brother, the Sysco salesman... you can get the nice Spanish stuff at a very good price if you get the broken pieces.

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          As to the pollen, I built this at the store where I could use whatever, as long as it was within the template and the weight limit. So, cost was paid, but workable source, price wise.

Click image for larger version

Name:	781D53B0-8442-4DD1-9B00-D1CF1FFFFD3B.jpeg
Views:	178
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	524445Click image for larger version

Name:	60605F1B-49F0-4119-A2A5-D472492C9746.jpeg
Views:	146
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	524444 Ribs it is. One rack with PKB and one with MMD

Comment

Sounds like a fun class. Hope you enjoy the rub.

Comment

Great writeup, thanks fer sharin both this story, an yer receipt, amigo!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here