Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spraying with apple cider vinegar vs other fluids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spraying with apple cider vinegar vs other fluids

This is an informal poll. I know it's popular to spray ribs (for example) with apple cider vinegar. I am curious as to why. I understand that spraying increases moisture on the surface, allowing for better smoke absorption, but also reducing maximum bark formation (due to wetting). But this holds true for most fluids.

Is there a real 'case' or reason to use apple cider vinegar specifically? In my mind it doesn't add flavor, since it is so diluted, but I have been wrong before

Any thoughts? What does ACV really add that water (for example) doesn't? I'm just trying to gain a deeper understanding, 'cause I don't grok it.

I usually use a light spritz of actual apple cider. It adds to flavor and actually helps keep the bark, due to the sugar content.

Comment

I talked to Rod Gray about this one time and he said water is fine. Unless you are using something with a heavy flavor profile like in a complex mop, it doesn't really matter. The purpose is to keep the ribs moist after the bark has been set. Don't know the story behind using ACV but I use it sometimes ...just because, lol.

Comment

I've always wondered how spraying liquid on an actively cooking piece of meat that is pushing water OUT, somehow keeps it moist.

Comment

Back in the day, I used to spritz with ACV, but I also used to marinate in either ACV or AC, as something I think I got out of Raichlen. Was a long time ago, so I don't really know why I did it (or if there was an explanation). Now, I don't really spritz, but the convection on the Grilla has me a bit concerned. I think it would help more with smoke adherence than any moisturizing of the meat.

I like a vinegar mop at the end of cooking best of all things on ribs, so maybe it helps with that.

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            The KBQ I've got is also convection. All that I've noticed is that cooks are quicker, not that meat is getting dried out. On the other hand BBQ_Bill does take preventative steps on the moistness issue, and it sounds like he's been pretty successful. He may have a tip or two for you.

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, I'm gonna have to mess with the Grilla more, cook more things before I start tweaking, but I got a spray bottle, just in case. Also, since the main knock on pellets is light smoke, a bit of moisture for adherence might be the thing.

I've more frequently not mopped or sprayed, but when I have I've used something like apple juice, cider vinegar, and bourbon. The apple juice base has lots of sugar in it. I only mop after the smoke, and the sugar created a more robust bark. But I have books with vinegar based mops as well. Those recipes tend to include thinly sliced onions, pepper, etc. in addition to the vinegar presumably in an attempt to add flavor.

I have never tried an experiment where I did two identical cuts, and mopped one, but not the other. That would probably a good experiment to conduct.
          Last edited by Attjack; June 5, 2018, 01:43 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

I seldom spritz at all, but when I do I use water. In the deep recesses of my mind I seem to remember that acidics lessen smoke absorption. I don't use vinegar or vinegar based things, (like mustard), to help rubs adhere either.

Comment

I spritzed for the first time on my last ribs.

They were FABULOUS!!

Im not sure the spritz contributed at all.

perhaps they were just fabulously cooked. 😃💪

Im spritzing next time though. I’m also a light bark and not sweet kind of guy.

Comment

• Attjack
                Attjack commented
                Editing a comment
                Why not do 2 racks and sritz one and not the other?

• HouseHomey
                HouseHomey commented
                Editing a comment
                Attjack because one rack is mine and one for Sophia and the kids. I also meant to say I do like some sweet.

I never ever spritzed until my last brisket cook. I used cider vinegar, about hourly, maybe even every 30 min roughly. The only thing I know for sure that happened is my cook took 90min longer than my typical timing for the size of meat and that was cooking about 50 degrees hotter than my usual. The smoke ring seemed a touch deeper, but that is just anecdotal not proven. Zero taste from it.

Comment

I spritz with water but only after bark is set. I agree with Huskee - I seem to get a deeper smoke ring (and I do think I get a better smoke flavor), but I don’t keep records so take that with a grain of salt.

I have tried vinegar and apple juice and don’t notice any difference compared to water.

Comment

I don’t spritz I never seen any benefit other then peaking

Comment

Boss? Boss?

Comment

I'm not exactly sure where I read this, but have taken it to heart and do spritz; ribs, brisket, whenever I want bark formation. Bark, as we all know, is not the burning of the surface of the meat (or the pellicle), it's a change in the structure of the protein and the fat into that deliciousness we call bark (aided of course by seasoning). In order for that to occur, and thus not end up with a charred surface, moisture has to be present. Now that can be the moisture from the sweating of the meat, or humidity from a water pan or spritzing. Either way moisture is a key component.

I'll try to find that article and post it if I do. As to the use of vinegar, I have no clue. I sometimes mix it with apple juice, not sure why either. But I do believe getting moisture into the equation is fundamental.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                        Jerod Broussard commented
                        Editing a comment
                        If you need moisture from the meat and meat is 75% water, would that suffice? I hope so, I've never spritzed and never had a problem with bark; except in the Pit Barrel when I hang at least 4 briskets, the humidity is so high they almost get to 205 internal without adequate bark formation.

• Troutman
                        Troutman commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I’m just sayin’ what I read. Moisture in the meat probably is enough to normally set bark, but added moisture helps it along or deepens it?? I don’t know the answer. Maybe an experiment is in order OR maybe our resident scientist, Doc Blonder can weigh in.

I ALWAYS spritz my mouth with bourbon every few minutes when smoking meat. Seems to taste better that way.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
                        HorseDoctor commented
                        Editing a comment
                        A decent single malt Scotch works OK too!!!

• texastweeter
                        texastweeter commented
                        Editing a comment
                        HorseDoctor as long as she is 18. Remember if she aint 18, she aint legal! POUNDSIGN TheMacAllan18

• Henrik
                        Henrik commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Now there's an educated man ;-)

I generally spritz. I use a apple or fruit juice with a mix of cherry schnapps for pork or poultry and beef stock and whiskey mix for beef. The sugars help produce bark and the alcohol helps break down the olis in pepper and other rub components.
                      I got that tid bit of info from a guy who had been manufacturing rubs for a living. Whether it's true or not who knows but I've been doing it for years and it works for me.

Comment

• Spinaker
                        Spinaker commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Do what works man! Hope things are going well in the arrowhead!

• texastweeter
                        texastweeter commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Capsicum IS alcohol soluble so that makes sense. Also alcohol is a desiccant, so there is a bit of science there. I have done a brisket spritzed with bourbon side by side with one that had no spritz, and we tasted/saw no difference other than it tool longer to get to the stall on the one with the spritz. Just my mileage, yours may vary

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here