Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Montreal steak seasoning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Montreal steak seasoning

I'm looking for a recipe, which would allow me to omit the salt. I did find one on www.geniuskitchen.com that looks to have potential, but figured I would ask here for some other ideas.

On what Montreal steak seasoning??

Comment

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      I want to dry brine some steaks and apply the rest of the seasoning separately.

Here's one you might try. I admit to really liking Montreal steak seasoning but I know what you mean about dry brining first.....

Montreal Steak Seasoning copy

Comment

My go-to is the montreal steak seasoning, I just ordered the Carne Crosta Steakhouse rub from Oakridge, anyone used it? How does it compare?

Comment

• W.A.
        W.A. commented
        Editing a comment
        I use it. Its better in my opinion. Not as "rustic", with a bit of coffee flavor

• wrgilb
        wrgilb commented
        Editing a comment
        We sell it at one of our stores and it is very popular. It's best when cooked at high, direct temps. That's when the oils release from the Brazilian coffee and it forms a great crust.

You can buy Montreal steak seasoning without salt.

Comment

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        I had no idea, but I will check that out.

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Weber and Durkee make salt free but not McCormick. They have a 25% reduced salt version according to their website. I've always used McCormick so I have no idea how the other two compare.

Steve R. I have been dry brining my steaks with kosher salt, since discovering this web site. I still coat them in Montreal Steak from a big bottle from Sam's Club before they go on the grill, and we've not found over salting to be an issue. There is a lot of other spice in there with the salt in the Montreal Steak seasoning, and I recommend you try it once - I think you will find over salting is not a concern. If you are putting it on right before you grill the steaks the salt in the seasoning mix does not have a lot of time to get into the meat, plus a good bit cooks off as well.

Comment

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        What I'm looking to do is to add the entire amount of salt ahead of time and separately from the other Montreal steak seasoning ingredients. That way I can be free to reverse sear to my heart's content and not burn up the spices.

I use a magnifier glass and a small tweezers and pick out the white chunks out of our Montreal. Then I lick them, if salty leave them out. Garlicky I put them back.
      Last edited by HawkerXP; May 16, 2018, 10:49 AM.

Comment

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        Why didn't I think of this??

I'm a high blood pressure guy and have been told to watch my salt intake (which of course I do a poor job of) but where I can eliminate salt I try to. McCormick claims 560 mg of salt per serving (which appears to be about 1 teaspoon, not enough to cover my steak) which is a pretty significant amount on top of salt brining. True a lot of it will never make it into the meat or maybe even your mouth but I would still be careful. That's why I always try to mix my own salt free blends.

Each to his own, that's my "old guy" approach to the issue. I may take on the challenge and attempt some of the online recipes to see how close I can get without salt to the McCormick blend. I've sure used it without salt brining for years.

Comment

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        My "stats" are all good, I'm just a control freak when it comes to my food.

To me, the distinctive flavor in Montreal steak seasoning is from the dill seeds. I used to use it a lot, but now find it too peppery so I have started just using dill seeds and salt with a small amount of pepper.

Comment

I have always used Montreal, but recently tried Chicago steak (McCormick) and found that good too, idk about the salt content though but I’d go with hawkers idea

Comment

Time to give back. Been working on this for years because I love McCormick's Montreal but want to be able to control the salt. So here is my latest and greatest shot at it. I have looked at dozens of others' recipes, and and copied what I think works. If I add some salt to it most folks cannot distinguish from the McCormick stuff, but everybody is different. Hope it works for you.
          JLM BEST GUESS MONTREAL STEAK SEASONING
          -John Mattson NightWatchRenBand
          3 tb black pepper coarse
          1 tb fennel seed
          1 tb caraway seed
          2 tb coriander seed
          2 tb dill seed
          1 tb garlic gran
          2 tb onion gran
          1 tb thyme ground
          1 tb rosemary gr
          1 ts red pepper of choice (I like Aleppo)

Grind the seeds if you prefer.

tb=tablespoon
          gran=granulated
          gr=ground

Comment

• Steve R.
            Steve R. commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks, that looks really good!

Originally posted by JakeT View Post
          My go-to is the montreal steak seasoning, I just ordered the Carne Crosta Steakhouse rub from Oakridge, anyone used it? How does it compare?
          Yep that is some good product right there
          Heck All his stuff is good

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here