Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Storing rubs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, this is a good find. I am going to give them a try.

Comment

Dewesq55, so they don't seal? Thanks for that info.

Comment

Another one of my hobbies is pipe smoking and trying new blends of tobacco. The good stuff is not cheap but most pipe smokers are--including me. So there is a lot of advice of how to save the tobacco long term. Now back to BBQ rubs. I only use canning jars with the metal lids as that is what all old pipe smokers swear by. Here is what I read as others deserve the credit. Zip Lock bags are very porous when it comes to the small molecule size of those things that smell i.e. aromatics. They will hold water as the water molecule is large. Stiff plastic containers also have a large molecular spacing. Neither are as dense as glass with a metal lid. Also a case of pint mason jars is a lot cheaper than 12 of the designer plastic storage jars. To test your zip lock put it with the rub into a mason jar and seal the jar. The next day smell the jar and note no rub smell. Open the jar and you will smell your rub as some of the good stuff got through the plastic bag.

BTW - Just joined this club and this is my first post. Neat that my two hobbies had a common issue. Looking forward to learning from all of you.

Comment

• gcdmd
          gcdmd commented
          Editing a comment
          Welcome, Tom. The technical term for what you describe regarding the ziploc bags is semipermeable or selectively permeable membrane. Also, the zipper fastening mechanism is not a perfect seal.

This reminds me that, in case you need one, this is a great excuse to get a 12 pack or so of Grolsch.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here