Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cininnati Chili Spice Rub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cininnati Chili Spice Rub

I live in the Cincinnati area and you can't go more than a mile in any direction to get your chili fix. To make your own chili, they sell the spice packets at every grocery in the region, and I thought, the ingredients of this mixture would make a good rub for pulled pork. It contains paprika, garlic and so on. The exception to "traditional" rubs is that there is no sugar, but has allspice and clove to give it that distinctive Mediterranean flavor. I searched this site and many other places and nobody has attempted it's use as a rub.
    The spice packets contain very little salt as you salt the meat to make this a Cincinnati style chili. So I did a dry brine on a seven pound butt in the fridge overnight before smoking. I then rubbed with Gold Star Chili brand spice and smoked it on the PBC for about six hours using Kingsford Apple charcoal then finished in the oven.
    The results were fantastic. Just a hint of Cincinnati and a kiss of smoke had satisfied diners all 'round. I wouldn't try to compete with this rub unless I was from Greece or Lebanon(the source of our regional favorite) but I will do this again just because it brought smiles to the people I made it for.
    Thanks for listening.

Sounds delicious!
    I'd be interested in knowin lotsa th other brands associated with "da chili capitol of da woild!"

Comment

That sir is how it's done. Nice work.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here