Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Butt Rub Test-Recipe's Wanted.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by John View Post
    Pit is hot, Beer is cold, Football on TV. This is gonna be a good test!
    Indeed! Are you judging for your new favorite rub? If so, who are the judges?

Comment

• _John_
      _John_ commented
      Editing a comment
      Doing 6 tonight. My wife and I and 2 of our friends that usually show up when they know i'm cooking. I don't really want to declare a 'winner' since we all have different tastes, and I can almost guarantee that my wife and I will have different favorites and I don't mind using 2 when I can.

Pic from John of his rub and spread sheet:

John I cant get the excel to upload but if you want it shared I can stick it in dropbox and post a link maybe.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-12-31 at 5.43.37 PM.png
Views:	110
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	46828

Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed (1).jpg
Views:	102
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	46827
    Attached Files

Comment

Wowzers!

Comment

Patients are resting. I hung until 190 and did not use smoke, I didn't want the flavor to mess with things. These things were crazy tender already so I won't let them rest for too long, just waiting on company to arrive.

Comment

Ok my wife and I were hungry so we went ahead and tasted, and we each went through a bottle of water trying to get all of the salt to go down. There lies another problem, Huskee's rub was so salty it is the only one my wife said she doesn't want again ><, but if this were on the outside of a full shoulder then once mixed in it would do great things.
        By the way my wife numbered them so neither of us knew which was which when tasting.

I'm usually pretty blunt, but my wife might have me beat this time
        • Memphis Dust- this one had the most pork flavor coming through but was not our favorite, we like some more spice and salt. I would recommend this to someone who just want's to enhance the natural flavors. Wife said it tasted more like a hot dog.
        • Huskee's- BBQ equivalent of a salt lick. I liked the flavor but the salt was too much. If you like salt, this is yours.
        • Spinaker's- By the looks of the rub and initial taste I was worried about this one. This had a little more sane level of salt and quite a different aftertaste which made sense when I saw the garlic and onion in the recipe. I think I would really like this if I traded a touch of the salt, garlic and onion for a bit more sugar. Too salty for the wife, really noticed the onion.
        • Fantabulous- We both liked this one pretty well, good all around flavor. I marked it as different, I couldn't put my finger on it but there was just something about it. Hopefully as we try it more and my other judges arrive we can figure it out. This was the one with cocoa, cinnamon and nutmeg which neither of us tasted at all.
        • Berwald's- Balanced, both in scoring and in flavor. There is a lot of pepper in this one but neither of us noticed it much.
        • Weber- This one was weird, when I was making it I was thinking this was more like a dalmation rub for beef considering the abundance of salt and pepper and lack of much sugar. We both liked it well but for an unusual reason that my wife summed up as "this is steak". She was right! The piece I had was rather fatty but very tender, if you blindfolded me and fed it to me I would have said medium rare ribeye in both flavor and texture.
        As of now it seems Spinaker's, Fantabulous, and Berwalds will be the 3 moving on.

Comment

• HC in SC
          HC in SC commented
          Editing a comment
          I will 2nd the "hot dog" type taste from the MMD on butts. I like it on lean cuts like chops or loin.

My guests arrived and tasted everything, and I tasted all again. I'm convinced now that breathing in smoke all day messes with your taste buds. I tried them all again and while my rankings stay the same, the pepper stood out quite a bit more. A note on Huskee's rub, this was done on country style ribs and we ate from the smaller end which meant the rather large bite had rub on 4 out of 6 sides. This helps taste the flavors but is too much for some salty ones that I don't think would translate to a full shoulder.
        Friend 2 is anti-spicy so anything with much pepper she just couldn't handle. Other than zeroes on the last 2 she was right in line with my wife. Friend 1 was really close to mine with 2 exceptions, Memphis Dust was his favorite with Weber coming in at a close second.

I will keep the same 3 I had picked but given that so many people like HRR i'm going to give it a try on a larger piece of meat, and maybe not cover it up like batter at a fish fry.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, I agree on the smoke thing. I never am as happy on BBQ meal night as I could be. I always love them reheated though and it must be attributed to sensory overload on cook day.

Yes the HRR is not tailored to country rib strips where rub surface area to meat ratio will be so high. On ribs I add a brown sugar topper as described in the recipe. That along with ribs having rub on only one side for the most part, help keep things in check. I've had people tell me the rub is too sweet or too spicy, but this is the first I've heard of it being too salty. I would guess it was this particular usage, like you are saying.

With chicken, a heavy hand can make it too salty and a light hand can leave you wanting more...like anything. I have tried to saltless version with a dry brine beforehand and in my tests I didn't think it was best...so I use the salted rub as the dry brine. If you were to ever try it saltless, I recommend shaking some salt on the rub surface, it really needs it there even if it's been dry brined. The rub is just too boring w/o the zing of salt in it...IMO.
        Last edited by Huskee; January 1, 2015, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Yeah, I was surprised too to hear of HRR being too salty. I've only used it on chicken (leg quarters), but there was nothing about the salt content that stood out

Comment

• HC in SC
            HC in SC commented
            Editing a comment
            Agreed - I find that the sweetness and smokiness of the HRR is more pronounced than the saltiness.

I will adjust my usage accordingly

Comment

More than a day late and a dollar short here. Sorry. I don't have my recipe with me (see my comment about needing to organize my recipes in another thread), but I add some powdered cocoa and [unused] espresso grounds. Just a hint of them. The other 15 ingredients are all the usual suspects.

Comment

• _John_
              _John_ commented
              Editing a comment
              I assume just the unsweetened stuff? What flavors does it add to in your opinion?

• richinlbrg
              richinlbrg commented
              Editing a comment
              Unsweetened, you are correct. Just adds some depth/complexity IMHO

Since we all decided the Weber rubbed tasted like steak, I used it on the porterhouse I reverse seared for dinner and I think it will be my go-to. It was excellent.

Comment

Hi John,

If you have a recipe you like, just play with it. Read the "Science of Rubs" and read about the essential flavors. I like Ginger Powder in my rub so you could try that experiment. I also recommend for a large piece to not have salt in the rub, but dry brine (or wet brine). Also, careful with the sugar as it may burn depending on how you cook it.

My rub is almost exactly like Meatheads Memphis Dust, that has ginger powder in it.

Cheers!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here