Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Salt-Free Steak Rub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Salt-Free Steak Rub

Can anyone recommend a DIY salt-free rub for steaks such as NY strips and rib-eyes? I have Meathead’s Mrs. O’Leary’s for roasts and it’s great, however i’ve been searching for a rub intended for steaks. Unless I missed it, I searched the recipes on this site and have not seen one for steaks. Any guidance is appreciated.

My preference for steaks would be rub-free salt for steaks. Good ol’ S & P is all I use.

Comment

Kosher salt and coarse pepper. Just a pinch of each per side. When watching salt intake the key is to learn to pinch and not shake.

Comment

I’ll use salt and pepper most of the time but this rub gives you a nice deep earthy beef flavor. I got from the internet somewhere and modified it just a little.

1/4 cup dried porcini mushrooms
        2tbl peppercorns
        2tbl sugar
        1tbl red pepper flakes
        1tbl garlic powder
        1 beef bouillon cube

use a spice or coffee grinder and grind everything into a powder. Pour the mix out on a cutting board or cookie sheet and roll the steaks in it coating everywhere.

Comment

Big Bad Beef Rub is great on steaks. If you like bold peppery and slightly spicy (or very spicy, depending on how heavy you apply it) then you gotta try it. It's typically a chuck roast & brisket kinda rub, but it's great on steaks too. I even prefer to use a light dose of it on ribs under my regular rib rub. Makes chicken taste like Cajun chicken too.

Comment

Awesome....Thanks all!!

Comment

Mrs Dash makes a salt free steak seasoning. It is quite tasty. It reminds me of Montreal Steak seasoning without the salt. I use it after I dry brine my steaks with salt so I am not adding more salt.

Comment

big bad beef rub add extra granulated garlic

Comment

I lean towards no rub on a steak as if you try and get a really good sear over an open flame you can burn the rub. I do dry brine first, and sometimes use pepper or apply it at the end.

Comment

• EdF
                    EdF commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm similar, though I like to change it up now and then. Usually S&P. A little bench sauce can add a lot of variety, as can a compound butter, like one with blue cheese.

• Jmccloskey659
                    Jmccloskey659 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks. I do like the idea of a compound butter, however I am having difficulty finding it.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here